Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I recently got a brand new Perfect 4 1/4 wide spool. It is beautiful.
Being used to large arbor reels this is a quite different reel regarding the amount of backing it will eat before it becomes more like a large arbor reel. I would want to make it more like a large arbor reel by filling it up with backing. To keep the running line and fly line from being too curly - and have a more stable tension on the reel when a fish takes line.
Has any of you an idea how many meters of backing it will take to fill the spool with backing when 25-30m running line and a 8-10m shooting head should be used?

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
823 Posts
Hi!
I recently got a brand new Perfect 4 1/4 wide spool. It is beautiful.
Being used to large arbor reels this is a quite different reel regarding the amount of backing it will eat before it becomes more like a large arbor reel. I would want to make it more like a large arbor reel by filling it up with backing. To keep the running line and fly line from being too curly - and have a more stable tension on the reel when a fish takes line.
Has any of you an idea how many meters of backing it will take to fill the spool with backing when 25-30m running line and a 8-10m shooting head should be used?
G’Day,
If you search with Hardy concerning this Perfect’s specs, the backing size and capacity should be listed. I have some vintage 4 1/4 Salmon Perfects and they hold approximately 200 yards of 30 lb Dacron with various traditional long belly spey lines.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!. I guess I put on 250-300 yards 30 lbs then and se what happens. But the silly thing is, even with a large salmon on the other end, I'll bet those 200 yards will never ever see the daylight again.
Anyone know if any spool axis diameter enlarger device exist?

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
823 Posts
Thank you!. I guess I put on 250-300 yards 30 lbs then and se what happens. But the silly thing is, even with a large salmon on the other end, I'll bet those 200 yards will never ever see the daylight again.
Anyone know if any spool axis diameter enlarger device exist?
No.....but if backing line capacity for 300 plus yards is your concern for coping with your large Norwegian salmon, you could opt for a 4 1/2 inch Hardy Perfect. In the high water of spring, with the faster currents on the Restigouche River, we frequently have to chase a running Bright salmon up to a mile downstream in our canoes before landing them. I use vintage Hardy 4 1/2 reels with my Sharpes spliced cane rods for their added line capacity. Here is a photo of one of my favourite Hardy reels for Springers, a 4 1/2 inch 1914 era Silex reel with a 2 inch wide shallow arbour spool designed for a quick retrieve.The free spool option makes this a versatile reel for greased line dead drift presentations or for a silent check and retrieve for “walking the dog” with a large salmon.
R....Jim
Water Plant Hat Lake Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No.....but if backing line capacity for 300 plus yards is your concern for coping with your large Norwegian salmon, you could opt for a 4 1/2 inch Hardy Perfect. In the high water of spring, with the faster currents on the Restigouche River, we frequently have to chase a running Bright salmon up to a mile downstream in our canoes before landing them. I use vintage Hardy 4 1/2 reels with my Sharpes spliced cane rods for their added line capacity. Here is a photo of one of my favourite Hardy reels for Springers, a 4 1/2 inch 1914 era Silex reel with a 2 inch wide shallow arbour spool designed for a quick retrieve.The free spool option makes this a versatile reel for greased line dead drift preventions or for a silent check and retrieve for “walking the dog” with a large salmon.
R....Jim View attachment 392828
I have actually also used the Silex for a period when harling the river Namsen. However I mostly use Longstones, which I find extremely simple and extremely reliable for that kind of fishing.
My question was actually more the concern of not wasting a lot of backing on the Perfect, which I will use flyfishing from the bank in a smaller river.
Nice to see a Silex on two-hander. And nice fish! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(not intended to be snarky)
Sounds like you should have bought a large arbor reel....
Yes, sure you are right and I also got one of these. But I will make the Perfect large arbor too by filling it up with backing :)
I just thought there maybe were smarter ways than wasting good backing :)

·
The Skeena in the fall
549 Posts
The smartest way is to fill it with backing.
If you catch a monster lifetime fish you will be happy to have it.
Later you can reverse the backing and use the buried portion.
No waste

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
823 Posts
The smartest way is to fill it with backing.
If you catch a monster lifetime fish you will be happy to have it.
Later you can reverse the backing and use the buried portion.
No waste
Excellent advice JD.....you never want to get caught short, especially on rivers like the Restigouche or Alta where an introduction to a 40 pound plus salmon is always a possibility.
R...Jim
Water Fisherman Salmon-like fish Sky Outdoor recreation

1 - 13 of 13 Posts