Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at the risk of being burnt at the stake by the "collectors", I gotta ask this question. If i were to pick up a 4"+ Salmon Perfect could i change her to a lefty without altering the integrity of the reel. If i were to remove the line guide to the other side i would 1- Be left with a "hole" and grooves where it set in the spool(I can live with that). 2- I would have to make the same grooves on the new side to enable the guide to set in. 3-what would you use to remove the guide and also what would you use to secure in the new area???Glue? Solder? Other? Another possibility,, are there independent reel smiths that can do this?? Bill Archuletta(sp?) Can hardy do the job or someone like HighFields? I am a Hardy guy, plain and simple,,, I own several perfects to 3 5/8" as well as St.Johns, and a new Bougle that is on its way.
I WANT a lhw Salmon Perfect but they just do not come along often,,,actually,,,I think they are a myth.
Help guys, maybe i am opening pandoras box asking this or maybe i am the only one who would deface a vintage Perfect for his own selfish reasons :saevilw: ,,,,either way,, the question has been asked!
Thanks, and please go easy on me
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
SC,

I would never try and convert one over with a line guard. It seems somewhat sacreligious to me :( If however, you can live without a line guard, there are a fair number of Dup. Mark II models out there that were never fitted with the gaurd. These can be converted easily by flipping the pawls. Some will tell you that you risk snapping the retaining screw but I have yet to have any trouble with any of mine.

Good luck.

'tip

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
SC,

I have to ask this question.

What is wrong with winding with your right hand?

Gary

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hardy Perfect

I agree with the previous poster--just reel them right handed. I was hopelessly committed to LH wind until I too began to appreciate old Perfects, particularly salmon reels. I then thought I'd just reel the Perfects RH, and then use my others LH. After a while I began thinking it was just ridiculous to think I couldn't learn to reel RH for everything. I agree it feels awkward at first, but believe me, it isn't that hard after a bit of practice. Keith

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary.
Are you a righty or a lefty?? If you hooked up with the fish of a life time wouldn't you want your best hand on the rod and your best hand on the reel?? I have heard the arguements of reeling with the opposite hand,, such as it kkeps the line from the handle and the cost of rhw versus lhw,etc.
I have landed two GIant Bluefin Tuna(750lb and 625lb) in my life,, both with my right hand,, so I know I can do it when the chips are down. but, I dont want that! I want my natural hand to grasp the knob and not have to stress while "switching over" and perhaps losing the fish due to this hesitation. See what I mean??
Lastly, why be uncomfortable in any fishing situation? We do this to be happy and only as a means to come into contact with the real prize,,,the fish. It's only a reel.. no matter how many $$$ are attached. It's an instrument that enables us to enjoy the quarry. Nothing more.
I am a Hardy Man,, through an through! I only want a reel I can truly enjoy. Nothing more.
Salmon chaser
><)))*>

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
SC,

I throw right handed.

I fish right hand up and I fish left hand up. I would be OK with a fish of my lifetime with either hand winding.

I have fished in really extreme conditions so I'm used to being uncomfortable.

Good Luck on your endeavor.

Gary

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Keith.
Where are you from in the Maritimes? I am a PEI boy.
Gary, some are more comfortable than others, for sure, I may be able to practice and learn to comfortably reel with my right hand,,I don't doubt that for a minute. I do however reel with my left hand now and want to continue that way, just want to convert a nice reel to "my" way. I am new to spey and admittedly do not have the experience that most on the board do. Someday it may not matter, but it sure does to my left hand at this moment.
Thanks for the info boys.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hardy did make LHW reels for lefthanded people. They are quite rare.
Worth looking at the reproduction reels if you are left handed.I beleive they made 50% of then in left hand wind.

·
Registered
210 Posts
LH Perfects

A little looking should turn up some wide spool Perfects without line guide. You should have no problem using it lefthanded as long as it has the retaining screw in the spool. Though you might not like the looks of it without a line guide, it will actually function better. The line guide tends to make the line pile up toward the middle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.