Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now my first Perfect and have some questions about how to care for it.

I see in of the pictures of different reels on eBay that some appear to be bone dry while others have a tremendous amount grease or lube slopped on. Which way is best? Are there some parts that should have lube and others which should not?

What about getting it wet? Any problem dunking it in the water? And if not, does it need to be opened up and dried later or is that a non-issue. I know all my other reels (which are machined and more modern) can handle the water but I just want to be certain that this cast reel and all of it's parts won't rust. I'm sure this may be a silly question but better safe than sorry.

Any other care and maintenance tips would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Attach it to a rod a fish with it, don't drop it or scratch otherwise not much goes wrong, there are no (complicated) drag system to go wrong.
Lubrication, I always used to use Singer sewing machine oil but it is difficult to get, 3:1 is almost as good, do not use grease as it thickens up in cold conditions.
Have you got a leather horseshoe case for it?
They have been getting wet for one hundred and ten years so I would not worry to much.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
WG - Sound advice as always

Willie, sound advice, straight forward and simple. Very excellent. Just like the Nike ad, "Just Do It!".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts