Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a really nice 4” Perfect from the 1920’s, but when I went to put it on my 7134 Burkie, the reel foot was too long to fit the seat. Same was true for my 8wt Method spey rod and even my NRX 8-9wt spey. Bummed out. Can anyone educate me on this? What do others do if they want to spey fish with an old school Perfect? I don’t want to cut down the foot. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

· Registered
133 Posts
Kerry will make the adjustment to your rod for a fee, or build a new butt section for classic reels.

"
SPECIAL REQUESTS
Along with doing warranty and repair work, we will do upgrades and changes if desired. The following is a list of available procedures and the costs for each. We can do almost anything you might want done to a rod so please give us a call with the particulars. We'll do our best to accommodate you.

• Extended barrel reel seat to fit the older Hardy reel foot $225 + return Shipping"

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry will make the adjustment to your rod for a fee, or build a new butt section for classic reels.

"
SPECIAL REQUESTS
Along with doing warranty and repair work, we will do upgrades and changes if desired. The following is a list of available procedures and the costs for each. We can do almost anything you might want done to a rod so please give us a call with the particulars. We'll do our best to accommodate you.

• Extended barrel reel seat to fit the older Hardy reel foot $225 + return Shipping"
Thank you! I will call him Monday

· Dom
3,391 Posts
I do not see a problem getting the reel foot modified rather than modifying the rod. There are several good machinists out there that can make you a reel new foot.

· Registered
Beulah switch, OPST micro skagit w/ Marquis, Echo DH w/ Alex Martin
156 Posts
DO NOT file the foot. There are way better options

- get the rod retro fitted with a longer seat to accommodate the reel (the cheapest and by far the best option). Send The reel with the rod for perfect fit and balance

- get replacement foot
Agreed on this for sure, and your place to go is Oregon. For the rod modifications go to Steve Godshall in Central Point/Medford. For a new reel foot (and saving the original for future use or sale) go to Bill Archuleta in Grants Pass. Then go fish the Rogue River :p

· Broken Down Spey Freak
3,623 Posts
I just had two made a little over a year ago. One was a 3-3/4 Hardy Perfect and the other a 4-1/2 Dingley. The Hardy was just over $100 and the Dingley was closer to $140 as it was more complicated. Neither the reel or the rod need be modified permanently. This was done through a local fly shop that has an agreement with a machine shop.

· Broken Down Spey Freak
3,623 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

· fly on little wing
1,182 Posts
I just found a really nice 4” Perfect from the 1920’s, but when I went to put it on my 7134 Burkie, the reel foot was too long to fit the seat. Thanks for any insight you can give me.
hi. i have cut off one of the double locks rings on rod to get a vintage perfect to fit. it's been awhile since i did this and don't know if the newer rods have reel seats with extended length. another thing about the older reel feet is that they are wider and thicker. i professionally ground down reel feet from a 50's perfect to fit modern rods. it's best to take material off both sides to make it look aesthetically pleasing. if your reel is super clean and has the smooth long foot, i wouldn't grind it down. if reel looks like it has many stories to tell and is ribbed foot, i wouldn't hesitate to grind it to fit.
gary

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Gary. Mine has the ribbed foot. I found a guy in Oregon who does this and knows exactly ho to cut and shape this foot for my exact Burkie. He charges $200 and is 5-6 months out. I think I am going to do that. He also custom makes feet for $400. Once I get it on the rod, I’ll have to learn how to use a RHW while fighting a steelhead. Gonna be fun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts