Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for my fellow Hardy enthusiasts. I've got JLH Golden Salmon whose handle is freezing up. The handle is made of wood, and though light oil loosens it up temporarily, it starts sticking again when the reel gets dunked. It looks like the post is riveted on (I'm not positive about that), so it doesn't look like removing the post is an option. And to think that I've been complaining about plastic components all these years! Any suggestions? (My wife suggested that I oil up my thumb and index finger, so that line is already taken if we have any would-be comics in the crowd.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Some of these reels were made with a handle that is too tight on its shaft to allow any swelling to occur when the wood gets wet. They are now upsized to take care of this problem.

Send the reel to Bill Archuleta to get your wood handle replaced with a newer wood handle with a larger hole or a plastic handle.

Archuleta's Reel Works
733 Detrick Drive
Grants Pass OR 97527

Tel. (888) 332-7335

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Where in Oregon are you Debarb? Some of the nicer shops, and I mean nicer, not "better" will swap out a handle for you if they have a part in stock that will fit. I know Kaufmann's (bellevue) often is that nice, and the scarlet ibis in corvallis used to be that nice when I used to go there...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Philster, I'm in Portland--maybe I'll check with the Tigard Kaufmann's. If shops won't do it, I'll send it to Archuleta's, pescaphile. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
D-

Archuleta is THE man for reel problems.

He can either replace the post with a larger one that allows room for swelling or replace the wood handle (probably with one from an Abel reel).

Since the wood handle from the Abel looks very different from the one you have on there now, I'd have him replace the post. He'll probably have to machine a new post which may cost a bit, but it will be a bullet proof fix that will look great.

BFR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts