Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question for the Hardy experts. I have a Hardy Marquis Salmon #2 and am looking to ensure that I have it setup correctly for LHW.

I have attached a doc with a picture. (First attempt at this) to at least show how it is currently setup.

This reel isn't the silent check but the prawl type.

Thanks - Hansen

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not sure looking at the photo.
Just wind in with your left hand and you should feel a little rresistance, now wind out and the resistance should be greater, if not turn the pawls till it feels/sounds right.
That is the great thing about the hardy Marquis, it is vertially idiot proof.

Why not learn to wind properly, then when you move up to a perfect things are simple.
Never could understand LHW......strange American idea ...like eating with the fork in your right hand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Willie Gunn,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried that and think I have it right as I notice more tension on the line going out versus when I reel.

I'll try to post a picute.

I have thought about reeling right hand but for some reason it feels awkward. Eating however ... fork in left hand.. :hihi:

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Ragatz,
You have it correct, the tongues are just according to Hardys instructions. Btw. I have engaged both tongues, which IMHO gives a smoother brake power to the reel. For that you would have to turn the left tongue in your picture to similar position as the right one.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I must admit that I am with Malcolm on this one (though I will try not to be so blunt :tsk_tsk: ), nor will I be so naive as to think that anyone will change the hand they reel with as a result of my point of view. However, I too do not see the logic to reeling with one's weak hand - and I'm kind of bored - as I wait to head off to Cape Cod in the AM for 19 days of striper fishing - so this might be fun :lildevl: .

I have heard the argument that using the left to reel leaves the strong hand on the rod. This, in my opinion is not a logical use of one's strong hand. For example, if you were going to hold a guy by the collar and punch him in the face, would you hold him with your right (your strong hand) and punch him with your left? I think not. Why does one need the dominant hand to hold even a single-handed rod, let alone a double-hander? It would make much more sense that the increased dexterity and strength of the dominant hand would be put to better use in the complex and important job of reeling and playing a fish on a single action reel?

Furthermore, almost all of the guys I know south of the border who reel lefty on a fly reel, reel right-handed on a level wind - what is up with that?

What I think, is that this is really a cultural thing that has more in common with the Boston Tea Party, than it does with fish-fighting efficiency :lildevl: . Brits drink tea - Americans drink coffee (and they almost take a perverse joy in butchering a proper cup of tea - a bag on a string in a cup... :eek: ), Brits drive on the left - Americans on the right, therefore, it follows Brits reel with their right hand and Americans use their left. There is further support for this in that it is far more common in Canada to see fly reels used right hand wind, than left. Canada, while being quite Americanized in many things, tries with reasonable success, to maintain our own identity. In reeling right-handed we have manged to maintain this "proper" link to our angling history ;)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
kush said:
Brits drink tea - Americans drink coffee (and they almost take a perverse joy in butchering a proper cup of tea - a bag on a string in a cup... :eek: ), Brits drive on the left - Americans on the right, therefore, it follows Brits reel with their right hand and Americans use their left. There is further support for this in that it is far more common in Canada to see fly reels used right hand wind, than left. Canada, while being quite Americanized in many things, tries with reasonable success, to maintain our own identity. In reeling right-handed we have manged to maintain this "proper" link to our angling history ;)
Every left handed (non-dominant) winder I have taken or sent on a bluewater trip has returned a right hand wind convert. It probably doesn't matter much on steelhead, and not at all on trout, but slap on a dorado, or a tuna, or better yet 4 or 5 of them... They see the light quickly :devil:

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
hello Ragatz

You must leave it as a RHW or you will be violating Grandfather's law.

Grandfather's law clearly states "that any reel resonating with a loud and audible click may only retrieve line with a clockwise motion."

Gary

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you hold the rod in the dominant hand (right) and a fish takes line, the handle can catch in your clothing.
Just do it right, no pun intended.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Right is right! Silly left hand crankers. Oh by the way Kush as you know I am
from the US and am enjoying a cup of tea with out said string at this very moment. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I spent a lot of time turning a spinning reel crank using my left hand so I figured I'd better wind my fly reel with my left hand.... That lasted about 10 minutes and I switched to right hand wind. I pulled all the line and backing out onto the floor of my living room and wound it back on the "right" way. I managed to do it without tying any nasty knots in the backing too. :D

Right hand wind foe me...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Demand that all reels be shipped LHW!!!!
I don't know about all reel brands, but all the brands I sell are shipped left hand wind. I just came from the practice tee with a new demo rod/reel that was set up for right hand wind. :eek: :eek: :eek:
On reflection, this outfit was set up by a gent from the UK so maybe Kush has something after all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Always enjoy a lively discussion on the board. I would have to agree with Peter on the poing of reeling with the weak hand for so long; I honestly don't think I could reel faster with my right.

Just glad I have it setup for me and the fishing trip next week. Off to fish for salmon in Russia on the Ponoi. Finally after a number of years a trip of a life time comes to realization.

Cheers, Hansen

·
Registered
202 Posts
mjyp said:
last time I looked I was wearing clothes on both sides of my body. have yet to see shirts or jackets minus proper winding sides. must be a celtic thing....
No, no, no. When you set the hook you use your right hand to lift the rod and left to pull line. You then plant the rod on your right hip and start fighting the fish. You hold the rod with your left hand and reel with your right. The reel handle is pointing away from your groin. If you reel with your left hand the reel handle is pointing toward your groin. Imagine if you slip while reeling fast and sock yourself in the groin or worse if the fish runs and the spinning reel handle catches on some sensitive bits. :whoa:

Reeling with your right hand is correct.

·
Registered
886 Posts
mjyp said:
last time I looked I was wearing clothes on both sides of my body. have yet to see shirts or jackets minus proper winding sides. must be a celtic thing....

the only hand that really matters is the one you hold your drink with
Yes of course you were wearing clothes on both sides of your body, but the handle of the reel is away from the clothes if set up for righthand wind BUT towards the said clothes if incorrect.

it is a Rangers thing, definately not celtic.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What's this stuff . . .

about a strong arm or dominant hand? Playing a fish is hardly like writing cursive. Perhaps a bit of exercise and physical training is in order. Just how much strength does it take to play a salmon or steelhead? Not much, in my experience, although a little coordination helps. Heck, I've landed a hot summer steelhead on a cheap reel on which the handle broke off and the pawl insides exploded into slivers of metal. (I was an impoverished student in those days and bought the reel for $3.00 at the Goodwill.) It ain't like this sport is similar to hunting grizzly bears bare-handed.

I set my reels up LHW, except the old Pflueger Medalist, which is RHW only, unless you want the click bass-ackwards. I thought it was an intuitive thing, but on reflection, I'm inclined to think it was an act of rebellion all along.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Kush.
I have never had the chance to hold(by the throat) and throw as both my hands are flying. :eek: As for reeling our Perfects with our left hands???? Well, my LHW Perfects seem to be worth alot more than you righties :hihi: :hihi: Thats a pretty good reason, eh Malcolm?
As for left or right hand? This was determined by the time we were 5 and now it is what we are comfortable with and thats the bottom line, no more need for discussion,, not what is right or wrong. Can any of you guys really tell me i am reeling with my WRONG hand?????
Philster, I caught two Giant Bluefins in 03' reeling with my right hand and honestly would have reeled with my right ass cheek if needed, but when angling properly(A Perfect and for Atlantic Salmon) it's all LHW!!!!
Peter, I guess us LHW'ers gotta stick together!!!! LHWer's Unite!!!!
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Salmon chaser,

Yes you are reeling with the wrong hand. :razz:
The right ass cheek thing I gotta see. Wait a second, no I don't!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
mjyp said:
WG,

"...like spelling color (right way) or colour (wrong way)."
Willie and I can't deside which of us be the one to tell you but ... you've got it backwards. :roll:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts