Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the basic difference between the Hardy Salmon #2 and the Marquis #10 ?

Are any of the Hardy Salmon or Marquis reels WIDE, as it seems that the ones I've seen so far are all relatively narrow.

I've been fishing Hardy Lightweights with my trout gear for years, fantastic reels, and need something for my new CND 13.6' 8/9.

If anyone has pictures/specs for these reels, I'd greatly apprecaite them.

thanks.

efreitag

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hardy Salmon 3 is wide as is by far the nicest of the bunch, but very difficult to find on Ebay and the like.

The 2 is bigger than the 10 I think the 10 is more suitable for 7/8 weight lines

·
Registered
926 Posts
Marquis #10 is 3.75" dia and is not great capacity (it was the same thing as the old Sci Anglers System 9). It could only hold a WF9 single-handed line and 120 yds of 20 lb backing (or a DT9 and no backing). The Marquis Salmon #2 is the main reel I use for my 8 wt spey lines. It's 4.125" dia. Spool width is 1.1785". It will hold a Windcutter 7/8/9 and 200 yds of 30# backing, a Windcutter 8/9/10 and about the same (200 yds) of 20# backing. The Salmon #3s (4.125" dia. Spool width 1.625") are what I use for my long-belly lines (XLT 8/9 and 9/10s) with lots and lots of backing.
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly and clearly.

Sounds like I need to find a Salmon #2. Will keep my eyes posted on ebay, etc., but if anyone hears of one coming for sale (at a reasonable price), just let me know.

thanks much.

efreitag

·
Registered
926 Posts
They do show up on ebay on a fairly regular basis. Make sure it's the standard version (click/pawl). I would avoid any that are silent check (they rarely, but sometimes, show up).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a Marquis 9/10/11 on my talon 9/10 Highlander. It has a 9/10/11 Windcutter and around 175yds of backing I believe. It works great for me so far. Hopefully soon it will be tested in Scotland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts