Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Hardy Ultralight Disc reel in Salmon size after many months of waiting.
Does any one out there know if the Rio Midspey 10/11 will fit on this reel? My DT 11 didn't come close.
I know it's a light reel for a heavy rod but I want to try it.

Thanks.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moonlight

I'm not up on all the Hardy models but am sure it's not the same as the JLH Salmon 1. The catalogues show the same reel capacity for mine as the Golden JLH in Salmon size.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Green Butt
The largest reel takes a DT10 and 160 yds of backing or so it says in the catalogue.

Malcolm

·
Registered
215 Posts
Which Ultralite reel?

Malcolm's given capacity of DT10F +160 yds is correct for the Ultralite Disc Large Arbor 10/11. However the 'normal' Ultralite Disc Salmon has a given capacity of DT10F + 250 yds.

Don't know about the Midspey line, but for reference, the BFR (Leeda) Magnum 200D has a given capacity of DT11F & 200 yds. I have found that the Magnum has the same as a Hardy Marquis #2 and a Ron Thompson Dynadisc 10/12 (and, incidentally, a Hardy Perfect 4"). All of these are fine for a 'standard' 30 yd DT10F or a Michael Evans Professional Spey Caster 10F but NONE will take a 36 meter (40 yard) DT11F with any backing. :mad:

If the Midspey 10/11 will fit onto any of the above reels I'm sure it'll fit a 'normal' Ultralite Disc Salmon.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willie Gunn and Gardener

The Hardy website in the US show both, the Ultralight disc [not LA] and the Golden JLH [both in Salmon size] to hold WF 10 and 300 yds of backing, [I assumed 20#] I thought I might squeeze a DT11 with less gelspun backing on to it but there was no way. Am going to play around a little more with it today.
Thanks guys for your comments.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record--

The Ultralight disc Salmon with 125 yds of 30# gelspun will just hold a SA DT#11 [120'] if the line is spooled on extremely orderly and tight. This of course will not work in fishing conditions.
By the catalogue the same should be true for the Golden JLH Salmon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts