Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyne have this reel? I am considering picking one up for use on a CND Custom 13' 7/8. Just wondering how this reel performs and what you guys think about this one. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have one. It seems well made -- better than the Marquis. It comes set up for right hand retrieve. It has a click/pall drag and plenty of 30lb. dacron backing capacity for lines that would typically be used on a 7/8 spey rod. The reel itself is very light, almost too light, until filled with backing. So far I have used it only for backing storage.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I have one and it works well. It is exceedingly light. I have mine balanced on a 7 weight spey, and I think it would be fine for a 13' 7/8.

I did read here some time ago about someone having a problem with something on that reel wearing or loosening. You may want to dig into the archives. I've not had troubles

·
Registered
96 Posts
CF, I have fished with a JLH Salmon since they first came on to the market. My wife bought one for me as a Christmas present it has a very low serial # so it was one of the first couple hundred made. I have used this reel for steelhead fishing and it has been in on the playing of large and many times very hot steelheads from Alaska to Idaho and most places in between.
The JLH Salmon has an achilles heel, the pawls for the clickers are attched to the side plate by aluminum studs. When you hook enough large snotty fish the soft aluminum wears and the pawls start to wobble and this increases the wear and eventually creates a grinding into the surace of the spool.
I was able to get it repaired at a reasonable price at Archeulettas reel works and am very happy with the results however I am certain that it will given enough good fish need to be repaired again in the future. I view this as a small price to pay the reel damage has probably been to my hearing:devil:
I like the light weight of the reel and the size is adequate for 7/8 Grand Speys and ample backing for any application in steelheading.
Pescaphile mentioned to me that this model is being discontinued and I wonder if maybe someone else had a similar problem to mine if they did I congratulate them. (can you say pompus);)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Moonlight,

Bingo- I too have a low serial number salmon model and the same thing happened with the alum rivet wearing out after about 100 days of use. Hardy fixed mine for postage only. The signs are showing again, with grease seeping through the rivet, that it will give away in the future.

Nice reel, however, I prefer something a 'little' more custom. :devil:

William

1 - 6 of 6 Posts