Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own and fish this reel. Considering it, or a modern perfect. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with them, have handled them multiple times though. Attractive reel, love the dual crank.. but pales in comparison to the Perfect. Get both in hand and play with them.. I'd be surprised if you didn't agree.*

*standard disclaimer: Just my personal subjective opinion.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
I have looked at them but own a couple wide spool Perfects. The Hotspur was more of a novelty reel to my eye, cool looking but I didn't buy it.

If there is a shop where you can check out a Perfect hands on make it a stop you may like them too.

·
Drags are for Sissys
324 Posts
Mostly like it. If they removed the second handle and made the remaining handle fatter it would be much more appealing; it looks and reminds people of a float reel with the two handles.

·
incompleat
6 Posts
I, too, liked the idea of it more than I liked the actual reel once I had one in my hands. It's lighter than a Perfect, but not significantly. The St. George is a cool little reel but I am personally far more inclined to use the 3" model on a single hand stick than get into the Hotspur for two-handers.

It would also be nice if you could find a gently used one, but given the intro pricing and marketing they definitely come across as more novelty. Not a stretch to argue something similar about modern Perfects, though. I really like the Perfect released just before the 'wide spool' range. Designated winding direction and a revolving lineguide with the Perfect layout, kind of the best of both worlds as far as these modern options are concerned. You might be able to find a used one around here.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I really like the Perfect released just before the 'wide spool' range. Designated winding direction and a revolving lineguide with the Perfect layout, kind of the best of both worlds as far as these modern options are concerned. You might be able to find a used one around here.
I concur :smokin:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. I had one in hand when they first came out. I liked the look but didn't feel like it was an actual fishing tool. Your opinions seem to reenforce what i remember. Im going to do a hands on comparison this week, but strongly suspect that I'll be sticking with the Perfect.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I picked one up at a price point I couldn't resist. It's lighter than a Perfect, and at it's max drag setting, it's a little lighter there too. The Perfect has a deeper growl. Having said that, I like the St George, and will fish it.

briansII

·
stuck in Duesseldorf...
129 Posts
Hi,
John Norris in the UK sells them at a discount for 319 GBP. might be worth a look. I like mine but haven't fished it yet.
David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts