Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In terms of appearance, reliability, performance, and desirability, how would you rank the older (pre-1960's) members of the Hardy family of reels? I've not heard much regarding the Silex, with its little drag knob, or many of the other siblings (Goodwin, Hercules, Triumph, Eureka, St. Aidan, Princess, Sunbeam, Hydra). I assume that some faded to obscurity due to the improvements and perfections made with the Perfect, Marquis, etc. that we hear about so much today.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My St. Andrew( 1960's) is one of the finest steelhead reels I've ever owned. And it sure sounds sweet with 15lb of chrome on the other end of it. For a clicker it actually has a good drag. Rob

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Marquis comes in several sizes, is relatively inexpensive, performs well, you can palm the rim, and you can find black or silver spools pretty easily to suit your aesthetic. They look equally good on a Meiser or a new Sage.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I beleive the Silex was a centrepin for spinning/ trolling or bait fishing rather than a fly reel - but undoubtedly it could be used for other things.

If you exclude the original Cascapedia multiplying fly reels [as they are so desirable & expensive I woulkd certainly feel guilty about dropping mine on the gravel whilst unhooking a fish etc.] then I would pick the Perfect as top of the tree, followed by the Bougle, St George, St John, St Andrew, Uniqua etc.

There are lots I've missed out, but let's just say if I found a 4.25 inch Perfect with a line guard in my attic then I wouldn't be too disappointed!

Regards, Tyke.

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
Tyke is right about the Silex. I bought probably one of the last ones made, and use it for Centerpin fishing for steelhead. Great reel:)

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the Silex might be similar to the Uniqua in terms of spool or drag mechanics. More click n pawl vs centerpin or freewheel.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I was thinking the Silex might be similar to the Uniqua in terms of spool or drag mechanics. More click n pawl vs centerpin or freewheel.
You couldn't really get further apart in terms of comparison of spool/drag mechanics between Uniqua and the Silex (although there are several models of the Silex - Silex, Silex Major, Super Silex etc).

Use google images to see the internals on the Silex - you'll be surprised!

also, as stated previously, the Silex was designed & used as a trolling (aka mooching), spinning, trotting, bait-fishing reel - NOT a fly reel.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Here's a list of Hardy designed & made reels:

Perfect
Taupo
Cascapedia
Silex
Super Silex
Silex Major
Goodwin
Hercules
Triumph
Eureka
Longstone
St Aidan
St Andrew
St George
St John
Hotspur
St George Hotspur
Princess
Sunbeam
Hydra
Marquis
Duchess
Zane
Zane Ti
Sovereign
Gold Sovereign
Houghton Perfect
Sirrus
Marksman
LRH
LRH lightweight
Ocean Prince
JLH
MLA
Gem
Bougle
Uniqua
Diamond Jubilee Perfect
Angel/Angel II
Fortuna X
Ultralite series
Demon
Swift
Viscount
Prince
Golden Prince

..there may be others...true, not all pre-'60's, not all fly reels, but plenty to choose from ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would add the Zenith and Husky.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Eureka 4"

Hardy Eureka 4"; circa 1930's - a 'centre-pin'/trotting reel

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Brass Faced Perfect:

Brass Faced Perfect - 4 inch; 1906 lineguard

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Eunuch 4" 1912 check

possibly one of the most desirable Hardy reels:

4" Perfect - Eunuch - 1912 check

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Possibly the most unobtainable 'Perfect'...

3 3/4" Brass faced, fat ivory handle, 1912 check, full ball-race, 1906 line guard, left hand wind......

one can but dream ;)

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Most reels for us mortals are listed here, but those with the deeper pockets may look for:
St. George Salmon
Alta
Special Perfect
Ferris
President
Barton
Davy
USA
Add others, please.. Yours borano20

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hardy Silex center pin reels.

Before this thread I don't think I'd ever seen a reference to this particular reel. More interesting a center pin; who knew.

Anyway a Google gave me this link (to another board) where a fellow posted up internal photos of the reel as it progressed through the years. Fascinating, most 'complex guts' I've ever seen in a Hardy reel.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19227.0

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Fascinating & very useful link (& pictures) to the varieties of Silex models, Fred. Thanks again ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts