Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about getting one for my meiser switch rod. They look pretty good and since I will be using the rod mainly for beach fishing they seem like a good saltwater reel. Also got to give them props for recognizing the reel is not a true large arbor and marketing it that way unlike most other companies. Does anyone have one or has anyone played around with one?

The backing capacities are insane and am curious if they really can hold all that backing. NOt sure if these are with 20 or 30 pound backing but I suspect it may be 20. Regardless it looks like we have another reel with grandspey/XLT capabilities:

7/8 7 3/8 oz. 3.75" 200 yds with WF8
8/9 8 1/8 oz. 3 3/16" 340 yds with WF9
9/10 8 13/16 oz. 3 13/16" 510 yds with WF10
10/11 9 5/16 oz. 4 1/16" 625 yds with WF11
11/12 9 13/16 oz. 4.25" 750 yds with WF12

Thanks,

-sean

J

·
0 Posts
Sean

The capacities listed on the Hardy USA website are slightly less than what you've shown. It also says that the listings are for saltwater fly lines and gel spun backing. Since that could easily mean 30lb. GSP I would tend to take the ratings with a grain of salt, unless the spools are 2.5" wide. I was in Iceland with a friend from England two years ago and he had a reel that I think was the predecessor to this one and had drag problems with it on a relatively small salmon. He said the reel had performed flawlessly on many other salmon and even a few bonefish so it may have been a maintenance problem. I noticed the last time we went fishing that he had all Charlton reels. I've also noticed that even catalog shops that carry a lot of Hardy reels don't seem to list this one. Is that because it is so new?

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would have all charlton reels if I took out a 2nd mortgage :p .

I think they are new for 2003. Looks like they recieved an award of some sort:

"The prestigious and rigorous 2003 "Fly Fish America" Magazine's Tackle Review noted the "Editor's Choice" was the new Hardy GEM reel as the best saltwater fly reel made today."

Of course one should take that with a grain of salt as well but it looks like a pretty solid reel. Maybe they have addressed those drag problems you mentioned with this new design.

Looks like a few shops online are selling them but have not seen one at a shop yet.

Would be using it for smaller cutts and silvers on our PNW beaches so the drag really will not get tested all that much.

Well if I do get it I will be sure to post a review.

-sean

·
Registered
22 Posts
HARDY GEM LA/MA

I have played around with the Hardy Gem LA (Mid Arbour really) in a local tackle shop. They're soundly made (Hardy engineering is excellent in my opinion), light, looked to have a monster drag, an oversize (kind of 'gorilla grip') handle, silent 'in', quiet click 'out' & with a sort of matt champagne (and a saltwater proof) finish. The shop only had the 2nd largest & I wanted the biggest for stacks of backing and an underhand outfit so didn't buy. But all-in-all they looked as well made as reels costing double the price and more.

hth

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
fOR A POSSIBLE "DEAL" check with Bob Meiser of

R B Meiser rods ( a sponc.). He's a Hardy dealer; he may be able to give offer you a 'more reasonable price.'

fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sean, how about the Redington Brakewater Reels

My son spends about 80 to 90% of his fly fishing time in the salt water or the Delta with tidal salt water.

He has advised me to buy one of Redington's new Brakewater Reels for my Meiser 9/10 switch rod and to use that reel on my 7141 for winter and spring steelhead. Bob's rod is for the fall/winter stripers.

I will be ordering the Brakewater 9/10 or their 11/12.

He feels that these reels are the best buy for saltwater fishing, and that they are basically bullet proof with drags capable of exerting 9 #'s of total drag.

The 11/12 holds 350 yards of regular 30# backing with a WF 12 weight. It sells for $299. Now that Sage is buying out Redington, these reel are now sold by a sponsor.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gramps, the BobMeister will love you.

Being a 'simi-neighbor,' and a fishing partner, I can assure you his rods are are "tested' to hell and back before he puts them 'up for sale.' My hands-on is 'small potatoes.' His 'test rods' are run though their paces from Canada, to Alaska, to Russia. Probably missed South America in this. Good stuff; period. Don't know of another rod maker that puts test rods ( to real people, not just "I've read his stuff" in some 'print rag') out for this kind of 'real time' on river running to assure they're what he/you expect.

And he's not paid me a dime to say so .. but I'll figure out some way to get my 'freebe' (just kidding!) recommendation. In another light he's a heck of a general contractor; builds a solid home; one that will last a hundred years. Maybe that's why the rod are solid as it could get??

All round good guy.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re Bob Meiser's Rods

I now own three of his switch rods, my new baby, his 5/6, and his 7/8, 9/10.

My new WC 5/6 floating line just arrived this week. It has been mounted on my new Orvis Large Arbor IV (not much backing, but most trout will never get past the 110' of Spey line. The package is a perfect balance. It will be great with 1/2 pounders and any trout in Oregon or California except some of the Williamson rod/tippet busters. Then his 7/8 would be the rod of choice.

I can't wait to try the package out next week. I tried his new 5/6 a couple of weeks ago with all types of 5 and 6 weight lines. It did a great job. Surprisingly, it handled my Midspey 6/7 Floater about as well as my 7136 did. The Gedi Master, Mr Meiser, said that this rod worked best with the WC 5/6. So I can't wait to try it out.

Bob is one of those true gentlemen and is an artist with his rods.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: reels

Yeah, I know that Meiser's rods are excellent. But you asked about reels.

All I have to say about reels is that I have never found a manufacturer's so-called "line capacities" to be anywhere accurate. Look at the reel, and just see if it looks big enough to you - if you have any experience, you are a better judge of what you need. If not, take an experienced friend with you to help.

BobK;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts