Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these beasts. How are they?
I cannot really imagine using such a rod frequently, but it would be a ton of fun swinging it around on appropriate water. Have been looking for one for a while but cannot find one of them, only the shorther ones. Have anone seen one? Any thoughts of it?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Had a 20 footer for quite a while but never fished it (sold it for a decent price on ebay). It was a Hardy Favourite in almost mint shape. I'd planned on using it on the Columbia for chinook or steelhead while wading but things didn't work out for me. Bought a 4.5" perfect for the rod but it was way too light for that rod...If you care about a balanced feel. You'd have to make your own line or talk to Steve Godshall, I don't think you can buy an appropriate line for one. I knew when I bought it that rods like that can be more than a couple handfuls. 16' rods almost tip me over, it's sort of odd but with very long rods you have to pay more attention to your footing, spreading my legs big time is necessary for me. And, even when I try to establish solid front to rear balance the long rods make me feel like I might get tipped over. When I release a cast with a long long rod by the time the tip releases it's energy I'm almost face down in the water. Likely a personal problem cause I like long rods but anything over about 15' forces me to play safe so aggressive casts don't seem to happen...I like casting aggressively, I like line speed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the 18ft Favourite for quite some time(as did a lot of members of the club I'm in) for fishing the lower Tay.
The Favourites came from a different era, solid, heavy, bomb proof, mine could lift and throw almost an entire DT12 40yd floater, certainly to the rear taper! I used mine primarily for Scottish shooting heads cast overhead, it would throw 15 Hi D's like bits of string and 700 and 850 grain DWE's easily.
For conventional lines its quite a beast, but you slow down and let the rod do the work and not try to heave and push it.It's very powerful, not really a rod for Grilse or size 14's and 8lb leader(although it would cope).I'll say one thing too, its a rod for Salmon, not Grilse or dare I say it most Steelhead!
I passed mine on to a forum member on here last year!, I now use a Guideline 17ft LPXe, a lot lot easier to cast a very long way.
Of course bigger heavier rods like these are more easily handled by the bigger stronger blokes, but I'm 5ft 9 myself and sort of average and I managed just fine.
Now over here in the UK, rods such as these are nowhere near as popular as they were, more modern rods will do a better job easier, as a consequence the big rods are readily available on the second hand market and there's absolutely loads about, try e-bay SFF etc..
I myself have had 18fter's by Bob Church, Greys, Hardy, and 17's by Guideline, B+W, Diawa.More than a few 16fters too!
I know people who owned and used 20ft and 21 ft rods, but they are a handful!, dreadful in the wind and very awkward to land a fish on your own.
One overbearing concern of owning such big rods are sourcing lines for them!, many will need 12's to work them properly and there's not a great deal of choice out there!, especially these days.
If you need any more info. I have a wealth of long rod experience and happy to help, can advise on specific rods too as if I haven't owned one then like as not I've cast one or know those who fished with them.
ATB,Yorkie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Yorkie. I think I shall just wait until one comes up, I really like a long rod and line combo, just love the smooth casting and the control I get from it. An 18’ or 20’ might be a little bit too much for me after what i have heard, but I just have to try. Won’t have much use of it anyway, only when the water level is at it’s highest and in rivers where the average weight exceeds 15 pounds. Bought a 15’ that I can use a bit more, and at least I can try how the favourites feel, even though an 15’ will be a thoothpick when it comes to weight and power.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I myself have never owned or used one of these, But 4 years ago while on one of my yearly summer steelhead adventures to the PNW, my 1st stop always being on the KLICKITAT, one of my favorite rivers to fish out there, we’ve hooked some absolute chrome missiles That we’ve only had a quick look at tailwalking Via air headed back to the Columbia. I’ve made great friends with KlickRolf , Rolf of the Klickitat Trader in my years fishing the Klick, Rolf is a True gentleman , has always offered his hospitality while we were in town fishing. He broke out the 20’ Hardy favourite after dinner and some beers one night on the back deck,It wasn’t lined nor did it even have a reel on it, all I can say is very intimidating Rod and to this day I still think about what it would be like to actually fish a set up like that and land a fish on it. While false casting With two hands everytime it felt like you were going to topple over head over heals.pretty neat experience.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What would be lovers of the long rods need to realise, is they( the long rods!) by and large came from a different era, where things were done differently with different techniques and tackle.
These big rods will be nothing like what you use in this day and age.
You don't as such false cast these big rods, there's enough ooommmph in them when you get the tips moving and the blank starting to flex to move an awful lot of line, far more and certainly far heavier than a lot of you are used to using. Thats why DT lines came in 40yds, for those with the rods and technique to exploit them.
It's not all brute force and ignorance (not the Gallagher version anyway!) but they demand a good technique and a certain physical presence from the Angler.If you've target fish of a sufficient weight and strength not to be over powered by these rods and its a big river you wish to dominate, then why not?, give one a go.
What some of you may need to realise is this sort of fishing was the norm long before the current Skagit/Scandi and certainly the newer hybrid lines were ever even thought of.
Indeed you can't beat horses for courses, but how many horses are bred just to sell you a new item of tackle?.
Salmon 123, were I you get your hands wrapped round the butt end of a B+W powerlite 16ft 9/10, one of the best rods B+W do, it will dominate big rivers, 10/11 lines of just about any description can be used and they are real cool rods to fish, they'll deliver in spades.As I hasten to add will any of the Mackenzie 16's too.
Get stuck in!, Yorkie.

·
Registered
875 Posts
YORKIE is spot on about the B&W 16' 9/10 Powerlite. It is a dominant stick. I've got one sitting about 10' from me right now. Another one that would most assuredly be worth a try is the new B&W 17' 9/10 Walker. It's a slightly more laid back rod than the 16' PL but with 17' working for you it absolutely rips. The cool part is that it's not very heavy so fishing all day is a pleasure rather than a work out. Judging by how much he's used it over the past couple of years I think it's safe to say that it has moved into the upper echelon of Gene Oswald's favorite sticks.

I agree with all of the above regarding the really long rods (e.g. 18' or more), they can be a handful. Great toys to play with but less than practical to actually use on a steady basis. If you do get one make sure your shoulders are in good shape as bringing them to a stop can be a little hard on those of us with rotator cuff problems....Fun to play with however!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts