Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here´s a question for the Brits reading this forum:

I´m in need of a shorter double hander and I got an opportunity to buy a second hand, virtually mint condition Hardy Favourite 12.6 #9. Anyone who has any comments about this rod? I´d like to use both shooting heads (for tight spots) and the Windcutter Spey (where there´s room).
Does it have a "dated" feel to it or is it still a decent choice, regarding the enormous range of rods available today?

What about quality and reliability?
Can it also handle longer casts?
How much would a ten-year-old but nearly mint Favourite 12.6 cost in the UK?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend has one: I'll try to remember to ask him about it when next I see him.

While I have used it, I find it very hard to say whether it's "dated". It's probably somewhat heavier that a comparable item recently manufactured. It hasn't given problems, and, whatever your view of Hardy rods in terms of performance, value, lightness etc, I would be surprised if it wasn't reasonably robust.

As best I can recall, Hardy made the "favourite" and the "gem" on the same blanks - I think the "gem" had a slightly superior finish.

As to the lenght of line it would cast, I imagine this depends more on the person using it than the rod but I'd say it's reasonable for its age and length.

As to price, I'm guessing here. But if it's mint, as you say, then I would not not expect to pay less than about $150 (US) and not much more than $200.

My bottom line is that if you really want something short and light, you just may be dissapointed by reference to what's now available.

PS I'm not a Brit, but I do live on their side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are you sure with favorite and gem blanks ?
I thing that it is not the same favorite is very slow bat gem not to much .

·
Registered
517 Posts
I already check directly in Hardy. It is their reply:
These are different blanks - the Gem was developed many years after the Favourite - We have a new 11.6 ft 7 # swift double handed rod that will be available for next year - It is an Awesome rod - the best short two hander we have ever made .
I would wait for the new swift - every one who has tried it loves it !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.