Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid that I've caught the Hardy bug...

Worse than that is that I'm ignorant regarding the differences and what to look for and what is desirable. Can someone shed the light on the differences between the Perfects, Bougles, Salmon, the IV's the V's etc., etc., etc.? I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. Hope to find a reel to hold a 7/8 XLT and 200 yds of 30# dacron.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just buy a perfect in the begining, everything else is just a waste of money, as you will eventually end up with the perfect anyway.
Take care with the older perfects as rod manufacterers now fit small reel fittings that will not accomadate real reel seats. If you ask Meiser nicely he can fit a reel fitting that will accomadate a 41/2" perfect.
Bougles.......cheap(er) immitations. The 4" bougle is measured from the outside pillers and holds a similer capacity as the 33/4" perfect.
Do not get too concerned with capacity think asthetics, as I have said many times on here a long rod needs a big reel, the 33/4 perfect on a 15 or 16' rod just looks silly.

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Hello Willie Gunn

You mentioned that eventually you'll end up with a Perfect. I'm at that point. I have the 4" Bougle MK V on a 13' Meiser rod and the aesthetics are just right. What size Perfect do you recommend for a 14' rod? A 15' rod?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
886 Posts
14' rod I would go for the 4" perfect which is just bigger than the 4" Bougle
15 rod 4 1/4 Perfect.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
voodoofly said:
You mentioned that eventually you'll end up with a Perfect. I'm at that point. I have the 4" Bougle MK V on a 13' Meiser rod and the aesthetics are just right. What size Perfect do you recommend for a 14' rod? A 15' rod?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

Get a hold of Ty W., he's in the mortgage business now, if your looking at old Perfects, you'll need someone of his expertice. :hihi:

And Chris,

I just got the same illness, been after a Marquis #2 or #3 for about a year now, in one week I stumble onto one of each for reasonable prices, so of course I had to get both of them.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
mjyp said:
there is a cure for the hardy bug....Charlton or Henschel will cure that itch.

coffee grinders should be left in the pantry... :devil:

I've been eyeballing :Eyecrazy: some nice, high end reels as of late, something to really add some class to a couple of nice rods I have. I've looked into (trying to find a) Charleton, among others, and have noticed a serious trait among those beautiful reels like the Charletons, Adams, Bo Mohlin, etc, etc... They go out of production/business and you are left with no way to have it serviced, buy parts, buy another reel. House of Hardy have been around a long, long time and will likely be here long after I am gone. Thier reels are not only very nice but you can still ring up a live person who can actually help you should you ever need anything.

Yeah, I'd love to have a Charleton 8500 Signature 1.6, if one ever materialized, but for the ridiculous price it would bear would that be worth more than a Gem, an Angel and a mkV Bougle? Nope.

Very hard to beat Hardy.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
"Swedish reels, English lines, Pacific Northwest custom made rods! The Holy Trinity "

Strange, a few of us over here are fishing English reels, Swedish lines, and stock factory PNW rods.

One of the little voices in the back of my head has been whispering "Hardy Angel 11/12". And it keeps getting louder. :saevilw:

I also have my eyes open for a Morner salmon for my T&T DH1107. One of the other voices keeps telling me its to intricate of a design and I am just looking for problems.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Angel

I have an Angel 9/10 with an 11/12 waiting to be picked up--they are beautiful in everyway--my friend, at the tackle shop, keeps reminding me that my grandchildren will be able to use them and still get any needed repairs and parts from Hardy because of their long history of service and tradition. The Gem is a gem, too!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
"Swedish reels, English lines, Pacific Northwest custom made rods! The Holy Trinity "
Strange, a few of us over here are fishing English reels, Swedish lines, and stock factory PNW rods.
One of the little voices in the back of my head has been whispering "Hardy Angel 11/12". And it keeps getting louder. :saevilw:

Hey, if you want to wrap a chunk of level line onto that gorgeous reel and then lash it to a boring production rod, well, to each his own. I'm sure you'll grow out of it :hihi:

I'd listen to that little voice and buy the Angel, and be glad that's all it's asking for :saevilw:

Maybe I should change that to Euro reels a I love the Hardy's as much as the Loop/Danielssons.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Moose said:
Hey, if you want to wrap a chunk of level line onto that gorgeous reel and then lash it to a boring production rod, well, to each his own. I'm sure you'll grow out of it :hihi:

I'd listen to that little voice and buy the Angel, and be glad that's all it's asking for :saevilw:

Maybe I should change that to Euro reels a I love the Hardy's as much as the Loop/Danielssons.

Took a good deal of "growing" to get where I am now.

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Thanks Willie Gunn

I was thinking along the same lines....a 4" perfect for a 14' and a 4 1/4" for the 15'er. And of course the 4 1/2" for the long rods. I think I may opt to try for the 4 1/4"...should look OK with a wee 14'er as well. Though a 4" in good condition would be dandy!!! We'll have to see what the gents are willing to part with. Maybe the House of Hardy will bring back some fishable Perfects again (how long ago were the shiny cased Perfects?)...like they did with the Bougle'. Anybody from Alnwick reading this???? Anybody in the Royal family a fly angler??? Hey Andy...........

Gary

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think a 4 1/4 is on the large (heavy) side for a 14. One thing to remember is the balance. My 4" Perfect balances my 10151 Sage very well, it is too light for a 15' DBF or my Salar. These two rods carry more weight in the tip.

But WG is correct don't mess with the rest just get a Perfect, every person needs at least one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts