Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Ultralite DD in the mail today from a fellow member and noticed quite a bit of spool play.

Are there any other DD owners out there that can see if they notice any spool play on their reels? When reeling in, if I push a tad bit harder towards the frame, the spool rubs on the frame in both spots where the frame extends out.

Also, if I grab the spool and push and pull, there's movement enough to where I can hear it clanking around. I've taken the spool off and put it back on numerous times - same issue. Just wondering if this is normal for a DD to have this much play. If not, I'll have to contact Hardy. Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Yeah, I sent out my Hardy Demon as the spool kept falling off and they fixed it and sent it back, no charge. I dont think under any condition the spool should rub the frame.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I sent out my Hardy Demon as the spool kept falling off and they fixed it and sent it back, no charge. I dont think under any condition the spool should rub the frame.
That's what I'm thinking. I don't have to put much pressure on the spool to have it rub either. I'm thinking the bearings inside that house the shaft are oversized or something. I had the same issue with a Battenkill LA. Orvis had to replaced the innards and now everything is nice and tight. It's fishable the way it is, I just can't get over the wiggle and the rubbing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still waiting on Hardy. Anyone experience this issue?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought I had that problem because of a metal on metal sound,,,,which I thought was caused by play in the spool. I spoke to hardy support, and the problem with it was the spool had too much flex, and if you loaded your backing with too much tension(which is a bs problem to have), it created a mishape in the spool and thus a rub on the inside. Hardy rep told me it was a known issue,,,,i discovered something funny, and I dont know how i did it, but I put it in the freezer and it returned to its original shape...
If yours has too much play in it the way you describe, I would return it where you bought it for a new one first, then if that doesnt work just send it to hardy and make them replace it......sounds like that days run had a machinist who a lot of Guinness at lunch...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I had that problem because of a metal on metal sound,,,,which I thought was caused by play in the spool. I spoke to hardy support, and the problem with it was the spool had too much flex, and if you loaded your backing with too much tension(which is a bs problem to have), it created a mishape in the spool and thus a rub on the inside. Hardy rep told me it was a known issue,,,,i discovered something funny, and I dont know how i did it, but I put it in the freezer and it returned to its original shape...
If yours has too much play in it the way you describe, I would return it where you bought it for a new one first, then if that doesnt work just send it to hardy and make them replace it......sounds like that days run had a machinist who a lot of Guinness at lunch...
Sounds like my problem is with the shaft and the housing it goes into. The clankingn sounds when I push and pull on the spool is coming from the inside. I'm wondering if there's a washer missing that makes the spool sit a little further from the frame or something. Or maybe just bad tolerances. The spool itself is true and I don't see any visible variation. I work in a machining shop so I have an eye for these things.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like you are correct....since you know machining,,,,maybe this is a message from the cosmos to start your own reel company? :cool:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you are correct....since you know machining,,,,maybe this is a message from the cosmos to start your own reel company? :cool:
Sure, can I borrow $40,000 for a couple machines and material? :chuckle:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Keep us posted and let us know what you find out is wrong with the reel.

I almost bought one earlier this year but when I went to the fly show nobody there was selling any Hardy reels.

Dan

·
Registered
774 Posts
I owned one of the reels when they first came out and I was not impressed with the "clicker" version. It broke after a couple of hours on the water. HArdy sent replacements but I traded and got something more durable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After reading your post yesterday, I remembered having some noise when I was using mine this last spring. It was kind of a dragging metal on metal noise. It only happened 1 time so I kinda forgot about it. I checked the spool this morning and it does have some tolerence problems. you can rock it back and forth on the spindle. not alot but any is too much. I dont know about the backing too spool being to tight, the spool is pretty beefy. Otherwise the reel works good enough.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading your post yesterday, I remembered having some noise when I was using mine this last spring. It was kind of a dragging metal on metal noise. It only happened 1 time so I kinda forgot about it. I checked the spool this morning and it does have some tolerence problems. you can rock it back and forth on the spindle. not alot but any is too much. I dont know about the backing too spool being to tight, the spool is pretty beefy. Otherwise the reel works good enough.
Yeah my spool probably moves in and out while locked down a good .030"-.040" which by machining standards is a lot. I seem to recall a reel company that had a .003" max tolerance. Mine is pretty outrageous. Still waiting to hear from them.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Good luck with that...

The customer service at Hardy North America has dropped to nil since the move out of Pennsylvania. They had an excellent CS manager and he is gone as well. I have been dealing directly with Hardy in Alnwick, and I recommend it. I think the poor service has something to do with their high RR...rubbish rate, an Irish term for what Hardy has been doing in Korea. Perhaps they are overwhelmed by problems arising from their crap reels.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I guess I gotta send the reel in. Hopefully the turnaround time is quick...might be going to NY for steel in two weeks, and would hate to not have that reel with me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a new reel in the mail today. Virtually all of the play in the spool is gone and the spool no longer rubs unless I push very hard. They also did me a huge solid and sent me a new reel but kept my old spool in the box! I think the backing WAS too tight because the old spool was rubbing on the new frame. I put the backing off and out it on gently and it is much better although I can make it rub. Must be the backing was so tight the spool was permanently altered. Or it may has been machined out of tolerance. Either way I am happy with the outcome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts