Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Loomis 7wt Short Spey in 11’11”. Since buying it, I’ve used one of my saltwater single-hand reels for it, loaded with backing, running line, and the 480gr Airflo Skagit Scout shooting head. It’s worked well, but I’m eager to get a more classic reel on this rod. If I were going to get a Hardy clicker, is a 3 7/8” Taupo Perfect the right match for this rod and line? If not, a Bouglé 4” or Duchess 4”? Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to use a 4" Duchess on my 12'6" 7wt but ultimately decided it was slightly too light. It would probably balance a little better on your 11'11". I'm happier with the older (pre LWT) version of the Marquis Salmon 2. I don't have experience with the Bougle or Taupo but I bet they would be sweet!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had the 7111, thought my Salmon 2 was a bit heavy at 11oz with backing . I used an Orvis Hydros and it worked well. Suggest a salmon 1 perhaps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for practical advice! Sounds like I'm in the neighborhood. I think I'm going to end up with a Taupo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you eventually decide upon an older Hardy Perfect I have two 3 5/8 RHW reels in very fine shape. Willing to sell one if interested.
gm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts