Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this reel? My fishing partner uses an ancient Perfect and I want a reel patterned after this design, which is basically bullet proof, sounds cool and looks like it should definitely outlast me. I'm eyeing the 4" model for my T&T 1307-3.

BFR

·
Registered
886 Posts
They are ok but not as nice as a perfect, they are just too shiney. Go to ebay and pick up a nice 4.25" perfect you will get one cheaper than the Bougle.
I have both and prefer the pecfects.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bougle

Thanks Willie--

My buddy picked up his 4.25" perfect on ebay--for over $500! It does have a nice patina to it, however. I was thinking that over the years the shine on the Bougle will fade. I kind of like the raised pillar look of the Bougle and really need a reel here in the next week or so because my other one recently crapped out on me. Other than the shine on the Bougle and the Perfect's slightly heavier weight, what performance advantages, if any, do you see that the Perfect has over the Bougle? Their mechanics appear to me to be similar. Also, do you think the 4" Bougle would be too bid for my 1307-3? Should I go with the 3.75" Bougle? What do you think the two different sizes would hold in the way of yards of backing. I'm fishing a Rio MS 6/7. Thanks for the info.

BFR

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,391 Posts
I have two of the 4" Bougle's. I have one on my Sage 8150 and another on my 1307-3 T&T. It balances well to the T&T as it does to the Sage. I have tried it on my T&T 1509-3 and was not overwhelmed but that was probably a reaction to the line I had spooled on it (Accelerator 8/9) than the reel. No they are not a Perfect but they are a very nice reel none the less.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have two 4' Bougles that I use on the biggest of rivers and I'm totally satisfied with them. I think they're actually a better reel than the (all trout-sized) Perfects I've owned previously because of the new hi-tech lighter and probably stronger aluminium. Only problem I've ever had is that the wooden handles sometimes swell & bind a bit (some folks modify or replace them). Of course the Perfect's old ivory handles didn't bind unless you bent the handle (which isn't unheard of on old Hardy's). I get tons (200m) of backing behind a 9/10 MS on the 4", and expect the 3.75" would be fine for you.

Poul

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bougle Follow Up

Thanks for the great info., gentlemen. I think what I'll do is bring my rod down to the shop and see how it feels with both the 4" and 3.75" models on it.

BFR

·
Registered
378 Posts
In reference to what Poul said:in my experience Bougle factory handles aren't to be trusted. I have had three different Bougles all do what Poul described. Not that big of a deal the real problem is the piss poor rivet that holds the handle on. If you fish a lot eventually the gap from the wooden handle will cause the handle to come off... usually at the least opportune moment. I have replaced all my factory handles with a custom design from a gentleman up in Smithers with no further problems.
BN

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reel handle question

Thanks for the heads-up on the reel handle.

What would be the best way to approach getting the handle replaced? If there is even a chance that the thing might be a problem I'd rather deal with it early than late.

Should I have Kaufmanns (where I'll probably buy the reel due to proximity to my house) replace it for a fee or have an independent reel repair person do it? If I should opt for the latter, whom would you suggest in the Portland, OR area?

BFR

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bougle handle

bfr

Some of the first Bougle reels that came out of production had problems with the handles sticking. I unfortunatley bought one and waited a year for hardy to replace it, and then it was still not right. This was at the time when cortland bought hardy U.S.A. I ended up sending the reel to Bill Archulleta in California who has in the past done work for me on some of my hardy perfects. Bill Put one of the Abel reel handles on it which is sleeved and is just a much nicer handle due to its larger size. I can not find his card but you might try a search through google under Archulleta reel works.

Brian

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
bfr-
Brian is right, Archuletta does a phenomenal rod.

If you do end up buying the reel from Kaufmanns, one of those guys down there will definately have Bill's number (most likely Randy S.) and if they cant track it down, have them call the Bellevue store, as we do have his number laying around somewhere.

...but at the same time, we would have no problem replacing the handle for you at no charge, ofcourse!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Big difference...

The 4" Bougle is a full size Salmon Reel that will take the largest lines (Grand Spey +XLT) plus plenty of standard backing the 3 3/4 is a standard narrow spool reel better suited to single handed rods.
I hav e several of the Bougles and have had the Wooden handle on one of them replaced by Cortland as it swelled up and stopped turning in the winters rain up hrer in the Northwest. It was gone for several months but it was repaired for free and appears to be fine now. The second reel another 4" has not suffered from this swelling , the claim is that they treated the wood differently so it will not swell. (could be salesmanship) but so far so good.
As to Archuelettas professional standing in reel repair if there is a better man out there I have not heard from him. Bill has restored dozens of older Hardys for me and my fishing partners for a good long time. If he can not get parts he just fabricates them in the shop works fast and charges a fair price.
Bill relocated from Santa Rosa about a year ago and can be reached now at:
Archuleta's Reel Works
733 Detrick Drive
Grants Pass Oregon 97527
1 888 332 7335

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bougle handle

Thanks all for the referral to Mr. Archuletta. I spoke with him last night and he does indeed replace the Bougle handle with an Abel handle. He has done this many times before. Apparently he has to make a new spindle for the handle and the turn around time is only about two days. He charges around $40--very cheap for piece of mind and years of trouble-free fishing. In speaking with him, the guy knows his stuff. And from what I've heard, he may be one of the premier reel smiths on the west coast.

I think I'm hooked up with the right person, indeed.

Ryan--I would expect nothing less from Kaufmann's!;)

BFR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just one thing to add to this general discussion - if considering the Hardy Perfect, bear in mind that the old brass foot of the Perfect is too big for most modern reel seats, unless you can pick up a one of the later edition (ie last of the breeds!) perfects which had a shorter aluminium foot. The old brass ones are lovely but if you tinker with it to make it fit your reel seat you will seriously devalue the piece.

The perfects are absolutely lovely though and will carry any line you want and a tonne of backing. They balance also balance my 14' spliced cane brilliantly :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Depends a lot on the reel fitting, Bruce and Walker, British, have plenty of room. Sage ,American, are very tight and the old hardys do not fit. Shame realy I think the 3.75" perfect realy suits my 7136 but only one of the reel feet fits.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perfect Foot

My fishing buddy purchased a 4" Perfect off of Ebay a few months ago and immediately noted that the foot was too big. So what does he do? Buys a Burkheimer with a custom Strubel reel seat to specifically fit his Perfect so as not to have to molest the Perfect reel seat! I think he did the right thing, but if $ is an issue and you don't want to buy a whole new rod with a seat that fits the reel, Archuleta will customize the Perfect reel seat to fit any rod (I think he quoted my buddy around $250--but his work is awesome).

BFR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Customising a rod reel seat to suit would be a very expensive and awkward operation (unless you're getting a blank 'dressed' to your spec.). Getting the reel seat machined is less expensive up front (but bear in mind the devaluation of the reel). Your buddy's quote of US$250 seems ridiculous. Any good gunsmith should be able to do a good job on this. I got a guy in England to do this for me with a 4" Perfect a few years ago (I disregarded the devaluation as I didn't plan on reselling!) and he did a superb job for about £15-£20 IIRC.

The Perfects are lovely heirloom pieces that retain their functionality - and when a big fish takes off the 'Church Bells' ring!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a 4 1/4" Perfect which is quite nice, but not a mint reel, and with the long foot. After agonizing a bit, I finally sent the reel to Hardy in England to have the foot shortened. I figured that if it had to be shortened, having it done by the factory was the better option. Also, if I sell the reel, I have the factory invoice to prove it--sometimes folks are not quite as put off if the alteration is by the Hardy factory. The foot came back perfectly adjusted for my modern rods, and was nicely blued as original. Turn around was just a couple of weeks. The only negative is that it largely lost the ribbing on the original foot. Cost was quite reasonable--if I remember around $50.00-6O.00. Anyway, just another option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im the guy with the perfect. I feel compelled to jump into the fray.
Just a quick note about resolving the issue with oversized reel foots for new conventional rods. It is true that Archuleta will indeed fashion a new foot for the older Perfects. He does not alter the original foot but instead makes a completely new one. It is time consuming for him and I dont think he really enjoys doing it, so he charges $250.00....ouch!
The question is then what is the prudent thing to do inorder to fish these wonderful old reels? If the Perfect is considered collectable (pre war, circular writing, line gaurd, unmolested foot and so on...) you surely dont want to have the original foot altered, for you will devalue the reel considerably. (This can certainly be done guilt free if the Perfect is post-1960.)
One chose you have, which I believe to be the best, is to keep the existing foot on the reel and use this as an excuse to custom build a new rod. If you are into building rods you know how fun and easy this is to do, perhaps you are money ahead as well. Another option is to cut the crap and step up to a Burkheimer! If you know, and I mean really know, what it feels like to dig deep into the butt section of these rods and feel these things unload on you, .....well, its pretty awsome. Infact it might be better than sex!
Having cast many of these rods over the years I can honestly say that Carry B. has hit on the secret for developing perharps the best casting rod, not to mention the attention to detail. Dana's review is "spot-on". Oh, and they fish pretty well too.

Less is more,

Mr. Mcsquidly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts