Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
skagitard with skagitude
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between the two?

All I've been able to find is the mark 6's were made in England while the Mark 7's are now made in Korea...is that really the only difference? I feel like I'm missing something here......

·
Corvus Ossifragus
317 Posts
Most MkVI's were made in Korea too. There was a short run of British MkVIs before production went offshore but they are scarce.

Mk VI's have a ported handle plate while the MkVIIs returned to a solid face similar to the popular MkIV.

The MkII is now discontinued. Production has moved back to Alnwick for the current Bougles.

They are all great reels.

Whats the difference between the two?

All I've been able to find is the mark 6's were made in England while the Mark 7's are now made in Korea...is that really the only difference? I feel like I'm missing something here......

·
skagitard with skagitude
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most MkVI's were made in Korea too. There was a short run of British MkVIs before production went offshore but they are scarce.

Mk VI's have a ported handle plate while the MkVIIs returned to a solid face similar to the popular MkIV.

The MkII is now discontinued. Production has moved back to Alnwick for the current Bougles.

They are all great reels.
The mk7 is now discontinued? What's different from the mk7 and the new ones? Just just the made in England part?

·
Spey Is The Way
945 Posts
The main difference is appearance and country of manufacture. The MK IV and the MK VII look the same. The IV is English and the VII is Korean. The IV has a wooden handle and the VII is a simulated ivory look. Some people cursed the wooden handle if it should get wet because it could swell enough that it would seize up. The price difference was around $400 between the two. The MK V was a totally different colour with a ported winding plate. The MK VI also had the ported winding plate and the wooden handle. I have the MK VII and really like it. As mentioned they are all great reels. Do a Google Image search and you will learn a lot.

·
Corvus Ossifragus
317 Posts
The MK VI also had the ported winding plate and the wooden handle.
The MkVI has a plastic handle. The Korean reel handles are white and the British are a medium brown but all VI handles are plastic.

The difference between the current Bougle and the Mk VII is in appearance only. The spools are interchangeable. The new versions still have the solid faceplate but come with the old Hardy 'rod in hand' stamping. I think they look very nice. They also killed the 3 3/4" reel in the new series which is too bad as it's a nice reel for a light switch/spey.

As Leo noted, Google is very helpful:

https://www.google.com/search?q=har...QoASit4H4CA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1521&bih=1208

·
skagitard with skagitude
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Went with a wide spool perfect taupo as the new bougles don't come in that size range... Plus the finish on the new perfect appeals to me more.

·
Spey Is The Way
945 Posts
Yes I was incorrect on the MK VI handle. I knew the difference but didn't type it correctly. The handle on my MK VII is very much on the yellowish tone, not the real white I see in some pics. Glad you found a reel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts