Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Speyfishers,

I am wondering if anyone out there knows how much 20# backing a Hardy Bougle 3 3/4" reel can take with a Rio WC 7/8/9 line? Do you think that this reel would work OK with this line, or should I look for something with a larger capacity? A reel is the last thing I need for my first spey rod set up--I'm excited to get out and give it a try!

Thanks for your help

Best,

Willie

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would suggest it is on the small side, and think the 4" would be better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Willie--I think I'll hold out for a 4" model. I have seen a couple of 3 3/4" reels for sale on eBay, haven't had much luck finding a used 4" reel...better save my pennies for a new one!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I might be persuaded to part with a 4" Bougle, box, pouch etc hardly used. I have recently bought a 4" perfect so the Bougle is surpless(sp?) to requirements.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Willie,

I've got a 3 3/4 Bougle with similar line and I'm able to get 200 yards on there. Depends on what types of rivers you'll be fishing? Medium size rivers for summer steelies, the reel should be large enough. Large rivers for kings, the 4" would be better. I've got a 4" bougle with a 6/7 Midspey on there and it holds 300 yds of 20# backing.

Hope this helps.

BFR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts