Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put together a new outfit and I'm looking at the Hardy Angel as a reel. Does anybody have any experience with this reel. Probably will be trying to put either a Grandspey 9/10 or Midspey 9/10 on it.

Gillie

G

·
It seems to be a fine reel. I think your only problem is going to be capacity. I think you'll have trouble getting even the Mid-Spey on it with any reasonable amount of backing. You might have trouble getting just the 9/10 GrandSpey on it without any backing. The largest size of that reel that I'm aware of is better suited for 6/7 or maybe 7/8 speylines. Perhaps there's a larger size model that I'm not aware of, but the largest I've seen is rated for a WF9F & 230yds of 20# in a single-handed line. All speylines take up considerably more room than virtually any single-handed line, and the GrandSpey takes up more room than any line I've ever seen.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Speyshop web site they show a 4" diameter reel that takes an 11/12 line. They claim this will take a DT 11 and 120 meters of gel spun. But I'm not sure how this converts to a spey line.

Gillie.

G

·
Yep. I found the same reel on the Hardy website. In fact, it was listed as 4 3/16" in diameter. It was shown to carry a DT11F & 160m of 30# GSP. That, of course, presents several problems in trying to determine its capacity for a spey line. First, of all, does it mean a 120ft DT11 salmon line, or is it referring to a line much shorter than that? Believe me, 20 or 30 feet of a DT11 belly is a lot of line. Secondly, almost no one uses 30# GSP because getting your fingers near it when a fish is taking line is like sticking your fingers in a band saw. I would guess that the Speyshop's 120m of GSP means they converted 30# GSP to 50# which is what most of us use. Bottom line. I think there is no reason that reel won't be plenty large enough to handle the 9/10 Mid-Spey even with standard 30# backing. It will probably require you to use 50# GSP, though, to get enough backing for the 9/10 GrandSpey. A lot depends on just how much backing you need for the places you fish, but I doubt the 11/12 Angel with a 9/10 GrandSpey would hold much more than 100yds of standard 30# backing, and probably less.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Ari Hart`

Just a side note that great reel designer Ari't Hart designed that Angel, if I'm not mistaken. A further reason to get that reel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts