Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those of you who are Hardy afficionados. Which of the old reels, Perfect or Marquis or any other applicable old models would be good large capacity spey reels. That is, have the capacity to hold a 9/10 Rio Midspey and at least 100 yd of 30 lb spectra backing. I see allot of old Perfect 3 7/8 models on e-bay,but I have no idea what the capacity is.

Natrix

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
I've been told by some that know that the 3 7/8 has roughly the same capacity as the 3 1/2" wide-spool. I can't speak to the accuracy of this.

A 9/10 Midspey and 100 yds. of Spectra might be a bit tight but I'm just guessing. If you were to go with a 3 3/4 Perfect, you would have no problem with that combination. If you bump up to a 4", you could probably get 150-200 yds of #30 dacron and the midspey. Spectra of course would be much more.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
A Marquis Salmon#2 with a 9/10 MidSpey will leave plenty of room for 30# backing. Don't ask me how much as I've never measured it but that reel does the job very well as a steelhead reel.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've never really thought of the Marquis range as being old.

I never judge the perfects by how much line they hold but more which look best on a rod.
The 3 3/4 and 4" Bougles just do not look right on any rod over 13'
4" for 14' rods
4 1/4 for 15 and maybe 16' rods but really the 16 need a 4 1/2 to set them off.

The 3 7/8 to my mind is for a single handed rod the wide series are for the double handers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A 3-7/8" Pefect fits a single handed 8 or 9wt rod pretty well. It spools up well with a standard 90ft DT8F. It's a good match for a small two-handed rod like a 6126 or 7136 Sage with such a line but simply doesn't have enough capacity for a larger long-belly line or 120ft double taper.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would agree that the 3 7/8 perfect is pretty sweet on some of the little speys with 6/7 standard spey lines. It also makes a pretty good reel for scando type heads. The 3 7/8 taupo perfect is a wider spool and has the ability to house 7/8 and 8/9 midspeys, also makes a super sweet reel for heads which is primarily what I use mine for. A 9/10 midspey fits on the 3 3/4 perfect with a fair amount of backing and the 4" perfect will hold more backing then you would ever need for this line.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I guess what do you want to balance with it? WG is pretty close on his recommendations I'll put a 4" on a 15' but my 15'6" need a 4 1/4". The 3 7/8 in mind is on the smallish/lightish side. The 3 1/2 I would expect to 50-75 yrds more 20# dacron over the 3 7/8.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
want to balance with it

3&7/8

Im not commited to a 3 7/8" reel at all, Im just interested to find out which ones will hold the line. I would probably use it on my 14.5' spey rod.

Natrix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts