Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my lovely wife's birthday. I started this fly yesterday and finished it this morning while she was getting a bit of work done. She loves her rainbows, but then again, who doesn't.

Megan's Fly:

Tied on a size 1.5 AJ heavy bronze.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
My dad used to make flies like that for my mom to wear on her jacket lapels. Of course, he's afix a pin to the back, and cut off the hook portion (filing the end smooth).

Beautiful tie Matt! You're a very gifted artist!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
So hear you.

My dad used to make flies like that for my mom to wear on her jacket lapels. Of course, he's afix a pin to the back, and cut off the hook portion (filing the end smooth).

Beautiful tie Matt! You're a very gifted artist!
You've been able to buy large hooks with the pins for many years now and a hand tied fly (lots of colour) made a great small Christmas Gift for my 'female' staff. Bit limited on the choice of ties as they were going into a Xmas Card. Ear rings were also darned popular.

On the ear ring thing I found the 'hang from the ear lob hole' (or what the hell ever you call those things) in a light gold plate and made ' Christmas Wreaths' out of the thing. Those got me a hell of a lot of Thank You-Thank You-Thank You's!' Not something you could start in December; "vice" was working in July.

I had a lot of ladies who worked in my 'chain.' Actually, come to think of it, they were all women!

fae

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gents, pretty proud of this one. I was a bit intimidated to do the wing after finishing the body, but the wing matches and does it justice.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The colors in your fly are just awesome, so vivid!
J.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I showed my wife this fly and she said "I like it! It's like:'taste the rainbow'".

Great work all around...I really like the roof jobby as well.

Adrian

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

the verdict is that i have to take a fly out of the one framed set of 3 I have and replace it with this fly. she was stoked.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
To me any fly is better with a good reason (or better yet a good woman) behind it, this one is stellar regardless though. As said above those colors are so vivid and just scream.

One of these days your going to have to show me how you get those amazing heads!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To me any fly is better with a good reason (or better yet a good woman) behind it, this one is stellar regardless though. As said above those colors are so vivid and just scream.

One of these days your going to have to show me how you get those amazing heads!
Hey,

Id love to tie some time! the key to those heads is in the fingernails

1 - 17 of 17 Posts