Spey Pages banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Go with the 40 lb line. Consider the SA Absolute flat mono shooting line and save a bunch of money.
Just took a look at that on SA’s website - interesting design. I already have the 50lb Lazar spooled up, but I will keep the SA Flat in mind for my next rod. Getting into Spey/Micro Spey and skagit lines has been a blast. Spent Monday using an OPST line with an integrated running line on my single-hand 9’ 5wt rod, swinging and stripping small streamers for browns. In comparison to my conventional, overhead casting setups the skagit line makes casting the heavy flies so easy and enables casting in some tight spots.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used Berkeley Big Game 40lb in the green (solar) color. Seems to hold up well and is abrasion resistant. Also there's a Stroft 38lb (weird rating) silver/blue packaged mono that is even a bit better. Was inexpensive as well. Easier on the hands but less visible than the Big Game solar green.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where did you find this? The lower labeling looks like it may be made in the same factory as Maxima

The image was online from a shop in the EU. But the line was purchased a while ago, can't remember where. Could have been at Sierra or Cabelas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It was difficult making the OPST recommended double surgeon’s knot with the 50lb. After several attempts I finally produced a neat and symmetrical knot. Smoothed it out with some Loon Knot Sense UV.
Not difficult. Wet it with your mouth before you pull tight, slowly.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts