Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my first two-handed rod (OPST 11’6” 8wt) with a 400 grain commando head and the option of a 450 grain Scout and I am trying to decide between 40lb or 50lb Lazar running line. While it appears that 40lb is sufficient, I am curious to know if the thicker 50lb might make the transition from standard PVC running to mono running line easier for me.

Would the thicker 50lb running line be noticeably easier to handle?
Even it was easier to handle, is there a drawback to using 50lb over 40lb?

·
Dom
3,181 Posts
Never tried Lazar line but I doubt it is worth the ridiculous expense difference from Berkley Big Game 40lb. That's all I use and wont change anytime soon. If mono running line is your thing one of my favs was Scientific Anglers hollow mono but you will be hard pressed to find one these days. It freaking floats...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Personally, I think the answer is yes, the 50lb while not a great deal thicker than the 40, would be a bit easier to handle. I doubt you would lose much in distance. If I'm not mistaken, OPST itself recommends the 50 for lines of 400.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I doubt you would lose much in distance. If I'm not mistaken, OPST itself recommends the 50 for lines of 400.
That is what I had theorized, especially since I am a novice caster to begin with. I simply do not yet have the experience to validate my theory. OPST recommended 40lb or 50lb mono for this particular rod.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also do a search here on the forum, lots of previous discussions on the subject.

Reactions: JGO

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’ve used 40 and 50 lb laser line on several different heads and rods. The 50 lb seems to twist and coil much more than the 40. The problem increases in cold weather. The 50 lb now lays on a shelf.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was difficult making the OPST recommended double surgeon’s knot with the 50lb. After several attempts I finally produced a neat and symmetrical knot. Smoothed it out with some Loon Knot Sense UV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I am at my local practice casting lake now - taking a little break - rigged up (OPST 11’6” 8wt) with the 50lb Lazar line and though I am accustomed to handling standard fly line, this is not so bad on the fingers. I did find casting two-handed Skagit to be more challenging than was my single-hand 5wt with a 200 grain commando smooth. I was recommended a 450 grain airflo scout with 10ft T11 tip, and the rod seemed to lack the power to cast that combo. Switched to a 400 grain commando head and 10 ft OPST tip and was then able to make some decent casts. The learning curve here seems steep: there is the mechanics of casting and understanding the combinations of head and tip weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never tried Lazar line but I doubt it is worth the ridiculous expense difference from Berkley Big Game 40lb. That's all I use and wont change anytime soon.
I used Lazar line for a couple years because it was a gift. Recently switched to #25 Amnesia for $3 a spool. Can't tell the difference between the two, except for the cost...

·
Dom
3,181 Posts
I used Lazar line for a couple years because it was a gift. Recently switched to #25 Amnesia for $3 a spool. Can't tell the difference between the two, except for the cost...
Be careful with 25lb stuff. I've lost the whole head once going that small. For trout 25lb is more than enough but if we are talking steelhead I wouldn't be comfortable using it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be careful with 25lb stuff. I've lost the whole head once going that small. For trout 25lb is more than enough but if we are talking steelhead I wouldn't be comfortable using it.
Good point. I'm unfortunately nowhere near steelhead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am setting up my first two-handed rod (OPST 11’6” 8wt) with a 400 grain commando head and the option of a 450 grain Scout and I am trying to decide between 40lb or 50lb Lazar running line. While it appears that 40lb is sufficient, I am curious to know if the thicker 50lb might make the transition from standard PVC running to mono running line easier for me.

Would the thicker 50lb running line be noticeably easier to handle?
Even it was easier to handle, is there a drawback to using 50lb over 40lb?
Go with the 40 lb line. You will be happier with it. Consider the SA Absolute flat mono shooting line and save a bunch of money. I like my Laser running line, but after trying the 25 lb SA with my 3/4 the next shooting line I buy will be SA Absolute flat Mono.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts