Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
almost got one box done, stupid thing is I hate using them LOL..
but the time is now so time to start..

I have found a black shiny feather that i've been trying to use..and these flies kind of morphed from the barred wing to black...still learning techniques or rather just tying and seeing each one get a bit better...(size 2,4,6's these are 2's)

sorry you east coast guys are getting hammered...west coast has had a warm wet winter...gin clear water and boulder gardens!!! little fly time

Attachments

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,856 Posts
I like Using them

Send them to me...JK

Nice box of fleas

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reminds me of this can of Spam seen on a local river. Good work
Mmmmmm spam!! i remember that time you were eating that spam sandwich on the river and got some on your waders....and that little dudes dog smelled it and started to hump your leg....God**** that was funny!!1:chuckle:

·
Registered
688 Posts
why do you hate using them? more confidence in the esl?

hitch them and be one of the cool kids...yes this time of the year...

·
Administrator
19,223 Posts
Great bunch of flees Paul, I would fish those in a heartbeat :smokin:
BTW, the SPAM thing was just hilarious :chuckle:

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ralf I hate using them as i don't want to lose um....I'm actually tying more then one at a time now so it's getting easier....takes me an afternoon to get a half dozen and i feel like hoarding them for summer runs...I have enough now that I am grudgingly bringing um out LOL..

The boxes are wheatleys ...Erich, who is a sponsor on here with troutnv.com will laser engrave any pic you want on your box, from fish to ??? I also use his leather wallets...very cool stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I didn't realise you were having issues tying them, but yeah its all about practice. Eventually the proportions thing and wing set issues etc start resolving them self. I think its fun fishing old school retro flies. There is a whole branch of what I refer to as American classics, which simply were American adaptations or originals that came about in the 40's,50 and 60's peaking out in the 1970's. The colour plates starting on page 80 of Coombs, "Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies" is what I'm talking about. Not a lot of guys fish them and many patterns are all but forgotten. Looking at the pics in that book and knowing H. Lemire tied them, I wondered why the heads were so big. I thought maybe it just was the style of the day and then I realised it may have been because he was hitching the flies. The nice thing too is that the materials are usually pretty available, so it doesn't cost you $30 a feather when you do finally find them. This time of year small stuff on or near the surface can work well. But that is going to depend on light conditions and time of day. Added bonus is they can be fished a whole lot of different ways; one of my all time faves is real grease lining. Really pay attention to the currents and break the water down into sections based on the way the currents are and fish each section properly with a full on sideways presentation. Tough to beat, unless you hitch and stay right on the surface.

Regardless, your bugs aren't bad looking, maybe just shorten up the collars a bit, and keep using and tying them. Even your ****tiest current tie is still better than that old confidence ESL
;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts