Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy birthday fella! Hope you had a great day and got to spend time casting those big 18 footers you so love. :cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Happy Birthday to you, Hammer

Hammer, we here in the GL Basin want to wish you a happy Birthday with the hopes you'll have many, many more. Best to you, Stiver

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hey!

haven't been hanging here much,seems i'm more of an irritant to some,but,i DO appreciate it,took a drive to the coast,,,,here's a pic.===nope,files to large won't load,ah well!,guess you'll have to take a trip to the oregon coast yourself :)

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
hey hammer,
Hope yer having a Great Birthday! Irritant? not that I ever recall,,,,,,,I've always enjoyed your insights and good spirit. Hope ya got some DE wee doubles under the tree!
cheers, buddy ( *klink*)
John

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hammer time again

Hello, Hammer. I never thought of you as an irritant. You seem to be a lot like me and that is I do like to needle and have fun. I can take it and I can dish it out. Its good to have fun and of course, there's a time to be serious as well. I'd like to invite you over here to West MI and make a float with us next week. You may have seen the post by MJYP just south of Chicago the other night they had a minus 2. Well, us being 100 miles east of Mark had it Christmas Eve at 10:15Pm we had minus 6 and we were predicted to go down to minus 12. Carl and I are planning a float on the Muskegon this coming Tues AM. You are free to join us and attempt to catch what your buddy "Moose" descibed as our big trout in our polluted GL Rivers. Winter fishing in the GL Basin in winter is a tough road to "hoe" and one must, I think, be a couple degrees off plumb to enjoy it. Have a good one and say, "Hi " to Moose for me. Maybe you could bring him along so he could enjoy our weather as well, eh? Best, Stiver

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i can only say one thing=dedication

well ,maybe two things i can say ,heheheee,,,at those cold temps i wonder!;i was told once;two craziest people in the world=duck hunters,winter steelheaders,who's crazy,?,i went out today for an hour,the Rogue was there for me as it has always been,certainly i fished,but,after nearly nothing going,i got smart,just watched,enjoyed my beverage,sometimes when it's quiet ,like tonight,i can enjoy just that,so gentleman;MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!,my sabres are idle,,until daybreak anyway,then thay will rattle once again!,calling me to battle,Stiver,you must try to understand us on the west coast,we have no ill feelings towards great lakes steelheaders,we just really don't understand what you have `going on' `out there' in spite of magazine articles,TV shows,`we' :rolleyes: ?, base our tactics on seemingly different run timing/flies used,or do `we'?,but,if i had a Learjet i'd join you for sure just to see it unfold,,,but i can't have one because i said three,maybe four `things',so i've been a badboy! :D ,,aw well!,,hey!,go get em!,or i like to say,like duck hunters,`TAKE EM',wether you do or not,,enjoy your time out there,THAT,is what is the best,hey,my beeeeer's empty,,, :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
GL Basin Watersheds

Hello again, Hammer. I really cannot comment on your PNW Watersheds as I've never been fortunate enough to wet a fly in any of them. Hammer, we both know that there has been sort of a spirit of contention between some of the West Coast Steelheaders and the GL Basin Steelheaders and that's sad. There is nothing to be at any odds about IMHO. You folks without any doubts whatsoever were the ones who supplied the gene pools by providing the Steelhead that were stocked in our GL Basin Watersheds in the late 1800s. We should be eternally grateful, as I am indeed. There has been contention as to whether GL Steelhead fight harder and longer than PNW Steelhead. Now, to me and many others of us that is merely "picking fly poop out of the pepper." What difference could it make? It only divided us as opposed to keeping us all together to unite as we try to improve and preserve all of our cold water fisheries and for certain we all must release any of the wild fish we take. As to West Coast flies vs. GL Basin flies I really don't know about that either. I do know you folks have bigger by far shrimp in your rivers that we don't have. Ours are smaller and mostly in the #14-#18 size range. Our fish must certainly feed upon different food sources than your WC ones; thus, leading me to think different patterns would produce different results depending upon where used. I guess we will just enjoy what we have and be very thankful for what we have available to each of us and maybe some day we can experience both Watersheds. Till then have a good one. Best, Stiver

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`spirit of contention'!,,=wow!

better get ready=I'll tell a tale tonight!,and only because i'm waxed, :tsk_tsk: ,,i grew up dunking worms with dad,as life unfolded i used spinners,then a period of using only eggs or `roe',then a time when i fished but a couple three times a year'=tooo busy buying diapers :roll: ,whence i returned to my old home waters;things had become diferent,although i hadn't realised it,yet!,so many people,and a change in the fish numbers of dif. runs do to a lake/dam being built and used to control what had once been freewater,and as it turns out;low and behold!!!,drumroll please=not only do the fisher's here catagorize you by the rod you wave ,but what's on the end of it as well!?,even people who only drift bait versus `plugpullers' grate on each other at local shops,sure sounds strange to me!?,i `got into' fishing to smile,as a child would,not battle with other's,yet battling with others for `superiority' seems a vital component in todays game,or does it, :( ,,,well,Stiver,you and i will start something tonight,wether you believe it can be done or not,i do!,,just go forth,have fun,be a stewart to the waters,tell all,it's alright to come ,enjoy,no matter what rod they wave,or boat brand they choose,just come !,as without partisipants the watersheds will diminish,i see so many smolts wasted from mishandling THEY alone would increase the returns many times,,i believe one thing=plan for increased returns,,,there is no other game in town,,THAT is why i came to play!,it just took time for me to see what really was the big picture,if that cannot be expected from those that manage,i'll seek weapons of mass destruction to get my point accross :hihi:,of course i could move to canada,new zealand,or,stand and fight for what i believe in,and that is,;`river's open to all,come down, enjoy!' :D ,now i'll go lay down and be a good boy as i've said my piece,or two-three,,,, :),and i'm gonna' wet my pants if i don get up :hihi:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Me again, Hammer

Hammer, you are very correct when you say that we should each pursue our fishing methods and presentations that we are each getting pleasure from our outings. None of us should try to conform to some method or "system" because others will think it cool and be in conformance to their expectations...bahhh humbug! I have only one criteria with anyone's fishing methods and that is: follow the laws of the State and don't violate. I must tell you that (IMHO) back in the late 60s and early 70s many of us GL Basin guys (MI for certain) were not even aware that we had Steelhead in our rivers. My thoughts here were that by the time the Spring trout season opened on the last Sat in April most of the Steelhead were back in the Lakes (MI & Huron). When we did have a hook up with a Steelhead we were broken off and just figured it was a big ole' Brown. That's how it played out for me. Then one day I was on the Platte River and we had a long, tough winter that year and spring was late. I spotted a pod of Steelhead doing their thing on the gravel and that opened up a whole new world for me. We, here in the GL Basin, most likely had a very small return of Steelhead until the early 60s (it seems) when the MI DNR made some real inroads to kill the Lamprey Eels that had so seriously devastated our Trout, especially our Lake Trout. Then, in 1966 the Pacific Salmon were 1st planted into a tributary of the Big Manistee River with other watersheds soon to follow. From there came the hordes of "pig fishermen" with their "foundry hackle." By that I mean they would cast(hot lead) onto a huge treble hook a slug of lead about 1" in dia running the length of the shank of the trebles. Then with some 150/200 lb test mono or such they would cast out across the water and rip retrieve the "hackle" back and cast again. Well, thousands of good Steelhead and Brown Trout died as a result of these shenanigans. Many of us have scarred legs from stepping over logs in our MI Rivers only to be ripped by some of the "foundry hackles" carelessly left hung up on these logs. Sadly, there are still many of these guys who still practice snagging, most under cover of darkness, on many of our larger rivers...sad isn't it? Well, I'd better get off my soap box. I feel like you in that I truly enjoy and cherish each opportunity to be on the River and try my best to keep it just as I found it or better. I've said for years that the worst day of fishing is far better than the best day at work. Hammer, here's hoping you have a great year in your fishing pursuits and I am going to attempt to do the same. Best, Stiver

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.