Spey Pages banner

Hammer made me do it

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Hammer 
#1 ·
All--

Under a rather long scottish rock, I found the twin brother to Hammer's Daiwa WF 98 10-12 18' Whisker.

Anybody have any first-hand with this rod they'd care to share?

...it should be on my doorstep in few weeks

I am now looking for suggestions as to lining this beast.

If anyone has an old, heavy-arse salmon reel they want to sell, too, that is cheap, let me know, also.

Should I think about getting one line setup for overhead work and another for spey work?

The sum total of my spey lines is currently a 10wt TT 80' head. I think I need to diversify, eh?

Finally, can anyone comment on longevity of this rod. The one I got (at a ridiculously low price) is unused old stock, but as most of you know, these were never officially marketed in the US...

anyone have a contact at Daiwa?

It is all appreciated-

brooklynangler

See less See more
#2 ·
BrooklynAngler!
I own this beast of a rod - AW-98 18´ 10-12.
Heavy? Oh yes! Too heavy to fish all day? Now!
I have rigged it with swedish-made ( I think?) Bringsen Black Shadow reel and set of different lines: Lee Wulff TT Spey 11-12 F, SA Wet Cell II DT-11-s and old SA Multi-tip spey class 11.
It casts beautifully with all of these. Important is to have long enough head on the line, line weight is not so important; lighter line - faster stroke, heavier line - slower stroke.
Do I use this rod a lot? Now, I don´t. It´s not fun with grilse or salmon under 20 pounds. But I use when there´s possibility for HUGE salmon and/or fishing in tough spot; like really broken water, just upstream of a waterfall or rapid.
Using this for overhead casting? Well, I wouldn´t do it, it´s just too heavy for that all day. But yes, maybe you can manage some 60 yard casts with it...
FinnSpey

#3 · (Edited)
finspey

you have an amorphous 18?,,,any of these availlable from anyone,these rods of BrooklynAngler and mine are the WF 18-10-12's,i've asked about the amorphous 18's before on the forum,but you're the first person that's been willing to talk,,,!?,,,,i own two 16's so i'm familiar with the range,,did they build any longer than 18 ?in any range?,,also on the wulff TT's ,i own two `spey' lines,;;a 9-10,and a 10-11,,,i thought the 10-11 was the longest `belly' or head that they made,,any info on the 11-12 ,or did they reclassify them or?:confused:

#7 ·
secret

the `whisker kevlar' rods supposedly have a braid of kevlar in the `layup';it's like a braid ,or,fishnet,it's deffinately an interesting finish,,,i've seen a couple other rods that have used this ,Diamondback,a Shakespeare or two,the Daiwa rods are a mystery,that i'm still learning about,that's why i like em',almost nowone swings em' here,and everyone has a `-----',they'll tell you so on the river,they,,Daiwa,have built a ton of dif. models,with a wide range in price/quality as far as `fittings',but one thing always shines thru;Capability,they do work well as far as the blank goes,as you'll soon see!:eyecrazy:

#9 ·
Daiwa game fishing rods are among the most popular rods in use in Scotland. They are very affordable and perform the job that is asked of them. I have some of the cheaper WF models that I feel I have outgrown.
I purchased the Alltmor S 15'2" and after just one season it snapped in the butt section. I spoke to another few anglers who have also snapped the same model.
Conclusion, the older Daiwa models are very durable workhorses that should give a lifetime's use, but I no longer trust the latest models and would not buy another one.
One of the best rods Daiwa have made is the Amorpheous Spey Casting Special. It has a lovely action that will not put too much strain on the butt section as the newer models do.

The Daiwa 16' Crossriver is also a good tool to have. I do not know if they do that in an 18' version.

Hope this helps.

#10 ·
spey casting special!

these would be; whipped in green,lined guides,machine cut graphite realseat,with green anodized butt ring?,,,labeled `tournement osprey'?,,,these rods have a feel that's hard to describe,they allow you to change your timing,angle ,at will during the casting stroke,,,every time i leave the riverafter fishing one of these i just say `WOW!' ,they feel soft `inhand' but once in action they're magic!,certainly a rod that makes you feel confident in your abilities,and allow you to `reach out' to a higher level every time you use one,,,as i said hard to describe!!!of course i'm certain the CND's MUST be great,since the designer worked on this range,,actually ,even if you deliverred matterials to the factory for these,you deserve a `hat's off' :D

#12 ·
Contact at Daiwa

For anybody looking for a contact at Daiwa(UK), please go to:

http://www.gameanglinginstructors.co.uk/members.asp

You will find contact details for David Bell. If calling from the anywhere outside the UK, please remember to prefix the number with 0044 and drop the first '0' from the contact number.

David Bell has worked with Daiwa for a number of years and is particularly knowledgeable on spey casting rods.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
whith a brass reel

you probably won't need to `slug' the butt,the `young's' are only 10/1/2 ounces,butt,,here goes;peel the buttcap off,take a very big;of your choice,bolt,cut the head off tackweld a very smalldiameter,thin washeron the end,wrap with the bolt shaft once,with masking tape,to keep it from rattling,chafing the inside,,,insert,replace buttcap,i'd prefer to keep the weight `between the wheels' to use stock car jargon,but,not enough hours in the day for me,when you get your setup,see how it balances in your hands,add a wrap of driftlead,or tape weight to the piece,just to see what it feels like,then decide,i'd much prefer a big brass,or idealy a `Hardy' reel,,my post. from u.k. usually takes 8-10 days,i'm retiring mine for now,have to let the handle cool down for spring kings,,,:chuckle:

#16 ·
Howitzer arrive yet?

just spent a week @ the coast and everywhere in between,the `dragon'Daiwa WF10-12-18,thru some awesome wt.,simply in a class by itself in ~that~ respect,arrived home to find a Daiwa `cross river' 10-12-16 waiting,along with my wife!@#$$$,,oh well,at least the Daiwa was happy to see me,,,it's a rocket!,,,and that crazy,sexy,fishnet thing,,,!,,pics of my work,,,,,,the digital camera from hell,or whatever Fred Evans called em'yeah,i'm buying a case of batteries,still figuring out how to do the digital thing as far as transfering pics,every time i getinto using the camera,drives me nuts before i figure out it needs batteries,needs a bigger `card' as well,so,,did you get the rod yet?

#19 ·
don't be throwin' moose turds!

itbetter be a `juicy bug',double hook,hairwing,with a foam body/rubber legs,and it should unfold completely above the water,landing downstream from me,actually juuustt kissing the water upon landing,no mending nececcary!!!:tsk_tsk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.