Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I head for the Dean, and will have a half day to spend in Vancouver. What are the names and addresses of the best fly shops in the area?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Michael & Young on Broadway is a superb store. They are sponsors of this site. Here's the address:

New Vancouver Location
#105-1245 W. Broadway St.
Vancouver, BC V6H 1G7.
604-639-CAST (2278)

They also have a web page--do a search.

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
They also sell cuban cigars......And they also have the nicest collection fo classic flytying material....(speyco) Ill make sure they give you a discount!

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
Hey Bob...

great seeing you guys again..small world...didn't realize who was asking until afterl you walked in the store.

Sorry i missed you both on the river...fishing as still slowish the week later...too many pinks and the Steelhead were blasting straight through...saw Beau...he was taking pictures because he was timed out(?)...saw a 24 ish lb fish beached...

Dana and Kush choppered a small village in the next week...fished a afternoon with them...kush got one before i left and was the water was bumped up abit so i hope they see some.....(drank their whiskey...gropped a few CND's they had...rod rack looked like a picket fence...)

Sorry to hear the HC's reel packed it in...tell him he should ask for a new one...for those dollars.

Regards,

Scott

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for all your great suggestions.

Vancouver is a fisherman's paradise, and has several stores to make paradise even more fun. My fishing partner, HC, and I had a wonderful experience in Vancouver thanks to your suggestions and especially to Tyler and Sandy. Those fine folks spent half a day making sure we visited three of the many great fishing toy stores in town. Plus we shared a fine fish lunch in Steveston.

Tyler and Sandy, you know who to call if you hit Northern California.

This board is a special place. As a relatively new, now one year, member, I was surprised by the generous offers of hospitality frequently expressed. I wondered if the fae fellow in Oegon was for real.

Boy, is he ever, and the real redhead who runs him around is just as gracious. I learned more than spey casting at Fred's FFF Charity Clinic.

So many thanks Tyler and Sandy, Fred and the real redhead. Also thanks to Dana and Juro for creating and maintaing this cyberspace place.

Scott, your store is first rate, and a pleasant place to spend greenbacks, and bluebacks and redbacks. Sorry to miss you on the river. I am happy to learn Kush got into one quickly. I hope to some day see him hurl great long lines to distant lies.

Jr Spey: As you now know, HC is my fishing partner, and his brand new Hardy Cascapedia replica crashed and burned on the first run by the first fish hooked. The reel alternately locks up, then free spools. Beau warned us before fishing of widespread reports of failures. And Beau was right. Again.

God bless you fine folks,
Bob

J

·
0 Posts
Bob,

That was the reason I asked. That's the third Cascapedia I'm aware of that's had the problem. I was on the Restigouche when a friend of mine lost a big salmon, well into the forty pound range, and the guide said it might have hit fifty, partly due to a Cascapedia giving out. In my last mailing to my customers I warned of this even though I do not sell Hardy gear. If you're going to use one of these return it to Hardy first as they know what the problem is and supposedly can fix it. If you bought one strictly for investment and display I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bob, are you going to post a blow by blow account of your Dean trip?

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
Thanks Bob...

Glad to hear you had a great time..i heard HC was buying gobs of various gear about town.

I did take my Original Cascepadia to the river again...the river is deserving of such a nice winch...but I never used it this year because of the low flow...too bad this appears to be problematic of the new ones...I'm not a fan of those reproductions for various reasons but this tops the list now.

Scott

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bebop, Not much to report.

Fishing in the two miles between the falls [canyon] and the Dean Channel was slow by Dean standards. I believe I landed eight steelhead in first five days, then zero the last two days. For our group of six in the week of July 25 through August 1, I think two fish were landed the last two days.

I don't know our groups' total fish numbers, but the largest fish landed was around 16 pounds.

Bottom line, there were few fish in the ditch! Low water due to the absence of snow pack may have been a factor during earlier weeks, but there seemed adequate water when we fished. Our week was warm and we experienced rising water with good color.

My BC friends gag when I say that the pinks made for an interesting week. The pinks had plentiful sea lice [with tails] and fought savagely. OK you BC animals, stop laughing. The one broken spey rod resulted from a new spey rod user trying to land a pink with a vertical rod.

The best fly color for most of us was bright orange and pink. My second best was black and green.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not that I honestly think that it matters but for what it's worth. I fished the same water two weeks earlier and caught all of my fish on blue. Then again I think that is all I fished.
BN

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
flies on the way

Bob,

I just sent you some voodooflies in chartruese and black (like my avatar) and some eel patterns fresh off the vise. One sand eel (olive) and one electric eel (black and bright purple).

voodoofly

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
Bob,

Your welcome.

You'll like the action of the eels in slow water.

voodoofly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts