Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on hacking a WC 5/6 floater to accept the Rio 15ft tip. Question?: Should I go with the 5wt or the 6wt tip? My thinking was to hack it, weigh the part I cut off and go from there. My second thought was to go with the 5wt, just because the lighter tip seemed like it would turn over better. Third idea was to post on some web sites that attract spey rodders and get a general consensus before I go making decisions, so here I am. I do realize the lines come with the 6wt stock

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
which rod

what rod are you putting it in. the reason i ask is I just purchased a loomis metolius 13ft 4 in 5/6 wt spey and was wondering what line to use i bought orvis 6 wt short head spey that i was planning on chopping and making some t-14 tips for.

rambo

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same stick

Got the same stick. I have grass (snow) cast it, but haven't had it on the water yet. West MI has been gripped in artic conditions for a few days. The forecast for Monday looks like the first time the weather will break, I don't know if I can wait.

The stick definetly doesn't feel like a steelhead rod, very light, good for trout.

Have you had yours out? Try tossing any big bugs on it? If this doesn't work out I am going to get on of Meisers 13ft 5/6wts in my hands for a test drive.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also

I see your right up on the Big Man., cool. Don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I just cut an Orvis 9wt short head, and have been using my 9wt Rio tips from my Scand head on it, works great.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jamey

the WC 5/6 is not going to be a good heavy tip arrangement, so go with the lighter setup. Poly leaders even work well, even though they are not full sinking heads.

Rambo - T-14 usually needs 12 wt belly or more to turn over well. The idea being that you want the grains per foot of the belly to be about that of the sink tip or you get hinging.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
we should have a wes mich get together this winter or spring. looks like there is a few of us on the board that fish teh mo and the big man.
I have a 18 ft sled so I can haul people around.
any ways I also bought a orvis SH 10 wt for my Loomis 9/10 deveron how much did you end up chopping off. for 41 bucks I figured it was worth a try.
I have not cast the orvis line on it yet but the deveron really sent the windcutter a flying( thanks NEIL). I have not even recieved the 5/6 wt yet I got a pretty good deal on ebay witha 30 day money back deal. so if I dont like it for I am looking at a 13ft 4 in 7/8 loomis(which I may get any ways) do you usually fish the Mo..
Rambo

here is a little steelie we caught a few years ago up on the big man

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice fish, looks like he gets his pellets from Barry Bonds trainer. Did you get your rod from that Andrew dude in Jersey? I called him about the one listed he said he had two and would let the other one go cheap also, I get weak when people start talking about cheap fly rods.

I just hacked the short head at 15ft. Using the 15ft tip from my scand head8/9. The package says the short heads are 52 ft, measure it, mine is 47ft from the tip.

There should be a clave on the Mo this spring, I will be there. I fish the Mo quite a bit, usually above TA, well above TA.

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
no I got mine from a flyshop in cali. I mostly fish up from Ta as well I have been messing around down between henning and new bridge. Couple of sweet spots down there. I threw a lot of really big flies this year(4in to 7 in) wow was it fun.
You have me worried about how I chopped my Orvis SH now. I weighed the windcutter I was throwing and added 200 grains to that and chopped it at that point. I fished with NEIL Houlding one morning and he had me pull out tip number 2 on the windcutter and it was a little bit light but wow it really made a difference working with a really short head. I guess I had poor line mgt skills. any how I am thinking of making it over there in the next week or 2 to test out new lines and rods. Ill let you know when I am over ther if you and voodoo want to meet up and throw some loops.
rambo

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
steelhead site

I just went to teh steelheadsite and saw that sombody was asking the same ? there Then I saw that you are brwntrt1219 I am Yahtzee.
funny

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Met a guy on the river last saturday with a brand new ACR 12'6" 5 wt and windcutter 5/6. His had factory loops. I didn't think they made a multi tip in 5/6. Must be a new thing.

For my 5/6 I cut it at 15' and use a Rio 15' type 6 85 grain (thereabouts) tip. Works ok. Works better with 10' sinking poly leaders instead of the tip. That would be the big Salmon x-fast poly's, around 65 grains.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
#2 04-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Speybro
Addicted to the cast! Join Date: Dec 2001

Hi Scott

We now make this line with interchangeable tips and it turns them over very well indeed. I would not recommend any type 8 tips as there is too much weight in these to keep the line balanced, but no problem with a #6 weight intermediate, type 3 or type 6 tip. The tips we use in the interchangeable tip lines weigh 84 grains at 15 ft and are ideal.

Hope this helps.

Best
Simon

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
sorry about that.......

sorry for the confusion. it was late & i was being lazy when i reposted the post i remembered seeing a week or so back while browsing through some searches.

i should have added in something to clarify. SG

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lines for light rods in the midwest

Interesting pattern developing here in the midwest--the use of troutspeys with tips to fish moderate distances, depths and rivers with tips for steelhead. My experience is that the most effective way to fish these in the winter, if you mean to fish streamers and not nymphs/indicators, is not casting from the tip with a light line. For me, what has worked best is the Skagit casting approach, because these rods simply lack the power to pick up and cast long heavy lines and tips at a distance, and the light lines and tips simply don't get down enough. I recommend taking a look at Ed Ward's posts about fishing this rod with Skagit lines. You can handle a heavier line if you shorten the line length and load deeper into the rod.

For lines, I've had good luck with the 'quick-n-dirty Skagit formula--using a WC tips line 1 (or 2) weights heavier than recommended for your rod and removing tip #2 (middle), and fishing it with the factory tips or making your own. You'll be surprised what a decently heavy tip and short belly you can hurl with these rods. The short heads are easy to lift and cast with little backcast room, and you can manage depth with your running line.

The way I see it, you want good mass in your tips to sink flies, especially if they're decent sized. I'm not talking sink rate here, just weight/mass. If you're fishing flies that are 6s or 8s or smaller, the light tips on the light lines will do fine, but the bigger the fly, the more overall mass needed in the tip to turn it over and get it down. Second, getting tips up is easier with shorter bellies. Third, the bigger belly of an oversized WC will let you step up to the #8 tips.

I'm fishing a WC 9/10/11 belly (no tip #2) with tips on my Meiser 11'7" 5/6/7. It's heavy but boy does it go!. It lets me fish tips that are 10gr/ft, with overall weight at 480 grains, which I think is right at the size of the line Ed Ward (Riveraddict) used on the rod you have when he fished that model last spring (and gave it high marks). I suggest looking up posts by Riveraddict under the topic Trout Speys. BTW, such a line based on an 8/9/10 would weigh 420 grains, and one based on the 7/8/9 would weigh 367gr. You can make custom Skagit tips from the Airflo custom cut tip that is 20' x 200gr. with a 7.5 ips sink rate. I got mine from MJC and highly recommend him.

FWIW, if someone is dying to fish T-14 on a trout spey, you should take a look at the Rio spreadsheet Bob Pauli put together a year ago. The lightest WC belly to put T-14 on is the 9/10/11, and that's still a slightly reversed taper. To give you a comparison, the average taper between sections on all of the Rio WC lines is about 2 gr/ft. The WC 9/10/11 belly is 13.91 gr/ft, and the T-14 is 14 gr/ft of course. To go lighter, I'd recommend using those Airflo T-10 custom tips if you want to make your own. You'd have good taper/turnover with the WC 8/9/10 and 7/8/9, and again a slight reverse taper using the 6/7/8.

Happy hacking!

Carl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts