Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a Ross Gunnison 5 would work well as a Spey Reel. I would intend to use a RIO 8/9 midspey with either micronite or gelspun. how much backing do you guys think I could get on there. Or should I just get a new reel?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think that you will even be able to fit the line on that reel. It will be coiled up so tight that the line will come off like a slinky.

·
Registered
417 Posts
G-5 works well for a WC on a 7136

Both the Ross G-5 and C-5 work well for a WC on a 7136. Not sure if they'll take a full 8/9/10 wc, but they will take one without the front belly for tips. Great reel, great price, etc.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I have several Gunnison G5 reels and spools. On one I have the Cortland 8/9 DT spey with approx. 125 yds of 20# micron and on another the Cortland 8/9 WT spey with Approx. 225 yds. of 20# micron. So I would say that the G5 may work for you.

Regards,

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with Eddie - these reels are outdated, and was never a good reel for salmon fly fishing/spey fishing. I bought a G-5 back in 94 because I really loved the G-3 for medium-heavy one-handed fishing (fishing for what we call grilse - atlantic salmon returning after one winter in ocean weighting 2 - 6 pounds) with a 7 weight outfit. But the G-5 disappointed me - too little line capacity and a too narrow spool, even in those days before the LA reels came for full. I still use the G-3 sometimes, but traded away the g-5 after first try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts