Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 5 weeks ago I broke my favorite rod, a 12'6 9/10 Guideline Le Cie, in the act of casting for salmon. A clean shear brake at the base of the male ferrule where it slips into the next section, where it protrudes from the ferrule after being fully inserted.
First off I emailed Guideline. No response.
So a week later, four weeks ago, contacted the apparently sole remaining Guideline rep in the US.
He asked that I send him pics, which I did, so he could send them to Guideline per their requirement for warranty repair/replacement.
To date, no response from Guideline on getting the rod repaired. None.
Not putting this on the rep, he has been helpful, even sent me a copy of an internal Guideline email indicating the request had been shuttled from this person to that person. I suspect he is no happier with this then I am.
I don't know much about Guideline, other then I love their rods, have bought two, and they apparently have so backed out of the US market that they are obviously unconcerned about providing US customers with courteous and prompt service.
Broke a Sage 8 years ago, mailed it in, repaired and back in my hands in two weeks.
Snapped the tip off a TFO 2 years ago, sent it in, new rod back in my hands in 3 days.
Guideline? 5+ weeks and counting.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
PM sent in a moment.

Purchasing a rod built out side the US can be a real problem if you have a warranty issue.

fae

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why not send it back to the EU directly yourself?
For years (close to 20) I was a Winston nut. I had 2 occasions where I had to send a rod back to Montana, and although it was an expense to ship and insure each way, it was a small cost for getting my cherished rod back in shape.
S

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I had the same issue with scierra. End of the conversations were I'm screwed because I don't have a local dealer (wouldn't even let me send it in)... I won't make the mistake of buying one of those again! Even if I did like it. Sorry to hear about this

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up digging through the Guideline corporate web site, and sent an email to the Director for Sales and Service. He actually responded fairly quickly, said the service dept. had been essentially unstaffed for the past month due to an illness.
Turns out Guidelines rod warranty is good for only two years. After that, they will replace a single section of the rod for $100.
So per the next email I sent, now waiting on a reply on who and how to send my $100 in to initiate the process.
so at least the wheel is starting to turn...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Postage costs and packaging.

Don't forget to 'factor in' the cost of packaging and postage. Does the $100.00 cover then returning the rod section to you?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget to 'factor in' the cost of packaging and postage. Does the $100.00 cover then returning the rod section to you?
yes, it did. Guideline sent me a PayPal request for $100 that was the total cost to receive the replacement rod section.
Now waiting on same.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Did you have to send the rod to them or did they just send you a new section and hope the fitment is good? Glad to hear you did get something going though. Hard to believe with all the lifetime warranties a company can survive with only offering a 2 year:confused:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it took a while, ended well

So Guideline finally did send me the replacement section for my rod.
Total cost of $100, which included all shipping costs, the new section fit perfectly.
As stated, I am a huge fan of Guideline rods, reels and lines. However, way too many hoops to jump through to obtain factory service. From the start, somewhere around a dozen emails to make the repair happen.
All comes down to the fact that Guideline just isn't a player in the US market, where there are many fine US rod companies, both large and small, providing comparatively pain free warranty/repair services.
Anyway, a thank you to Guideline for finally coming through, I hope to put many more salmon on the now repaired rod in the years to come.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I'm still a fan. It sucks to be digging into your wallet and waiting around but at least there is some viable recourse.. unlike multiple others. A section at that cost (S&H included) is livable for me.

surfnfish; appreciate the current intel.

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts