Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - thanks for all the great help here.

Pulling together stuff for my first switch build and wondering about the proper sizes and kinds of the guides. My 11ft Deer Creek 8wt has 10 guides (3 stripping, 7 snake) + tip top, so I'm assuming that basic configuration.

How big should the guides be for such a small switch rod? Johnny at ARE suggested the 20 piece set he sells, but that seems like way overkill both for guide size (the stripping guides in the set are #20 and #14) and it's way more than I need.

Can someone let me know the guide sizes they've used successfully on rods this size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I built this rod also. My thinking is, that the lines for this rod are going to be bigger than a 2 or 3 wt line, so I decided to got with larger guides. I went with 3s, 4s, 5, 6 then strippers. I also used the extra large tip top. I can't remember if I used the 6 or not, but that is the basic layout that I used. This is my favorite rod for small fish. I named my rod the "super noodle". :chuckle:

I would love to see some pics of the build when completed. As far as lines go. I have used a wulff ambush 4 and 5, with polyleaders, but I seem to prefer the 5. I have a few other lines that I will be testing in the near future and will let you'll know what works for me.

I used 8 snakes and 2 strippers (16 & 12)

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts