Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm headed up to Bend for vacation next and was thinking of hiring a guide for a day. I'm not sure about the general availability but does anyone have any guide recommendations? Thanks!

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vail Bourne is a terrific guide on the Deschutes. I've used him many times for single days and 3 day camping trips. He knows the river well, gives nice instruction and is reasonable. He also has a shop right on the river. His guiding company is called River Bourne Outfitters 541-647-2584

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whats your mission? You mention heading to Bend for vacation "next" but I am not sure if that means next week, next year, etc. Also, how far are you willing to drive Bend from to fish? The upper most section where steelhead are available is about an hour drive, but the mouth of the river is well over a 2 hour drive, one-way. Are you looking for a day trip or multi-day overnighter? These questions will help you filter out the potential list of guides for each scenario, as most of them have specific programs they offer in specific sections of the river.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cory Godell. Deschutes River Outfitters. Generally focuses on the Deschutes from Warm Springs to Maupin. Highly recommend.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Mark Bachmann
Travis Johnson
In that order, because I know them, in that order.
Mark owns the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches & runs a very nice guide operation on the DesChutes Mark also puts on the Sandy Clave every year, if that's worth anything to you.
Travis works with Mark. Travis also holds the world distance Spey Casting record, fwiw.
Both are very congenial, easy to get along with, & know their craft well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts