Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never tied any of the Rangeley type streamers before, but the Grey Ghost has been on my "must tie" list for a while. With the weather about to turn a corner towards spring here, I figured I'd tie one up to toss on the long line for drop backs. Looking for a long shank hook on my bench, and trying to avoid the few Daiichi 2091's I've got left, the 2271 was the next best option for fishing. I used a small amount of adhesive to stack and secure the wings, Carrie Stevens style. Not a huge fan of the method, as it wasn't the cleanest tie in I've ever done. I may try again with the same color and scheme, but tie it a bit more Glasso style

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
That is really nice a great lake fly

Anyone who has ever attempted to tie these know how difficult they are you did a bang up job

Reactions: unch

·
Registered
903 Posts
It is always nice to see the old favorites again. You did a good job with this one.

It can be difficult when you bind down the wing feathers and they have a mind of their own and twist sideways. Sometimes crunching them with smooth jaw pliers will not be convincing. Liquid wax can be your best friend.

I can see this fly in your flow tank looking like a scared smelt.

Doug

Reactions: unch

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Very nicely done indeed. I've tied a few of these types and they are always fun and will test your tying a bit.
If you want to tie this pattern for fishing, try it with a barred medium dun feather instead of the usual simple dun. I did that for a friend a couple of years ago for his annual trip for Maine landlocks and they helped him be top rod for the trip.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Unch.....That's great!!!

There is so much tradition and history behind the tying and fishing of this style of fly.
Very inspiring to see a Rangeley fly posted here.

The Grey Ghost is a classic in the east for Landlocks and Brook Trout.
I think you do it justice on that long shank hook in the traditional Carrie Stevens style.

Awesome...
Thanks for this...

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Well done!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bravo, Unch! Very nicely tied! It's such a great smelt pattern. I've caught many trout on this pattern and seeing your fly immediately transported me back some 40 years. At the time I was working at a fishing and hunting shop trying to save money for more education. I was first given a few grey ghosts from a customer who was a commercial offshore fisherman who just loved to flyfish when he was in port. He said the stillness of the trout stream was captivating and helped him cope with the craziness of a life on a fishing dragger working Northeast waters. We talked fly fishing long after his purchases at the shop were completed. His dream was to move to Alaska, work the fishing boats to bankroll some money, learn the rivers, and make it on his own as a flyfishing guide. We lost touch when I left the shop for grad school. Bumping into a mutual friend a few years later, I learned he made it to Alaska as he wanted, working as a deckhand as he did most of his young life. He never realized his dream of becoming a fishing guide, as he died at sea, far from the quite waters he loved. Whenever I see a grey ghost, I think of him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts