Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this old greenheart rod and intend to fish it. It has varnish on it and I don't think the varnish is a good idea on a greenheart rod. Can I use a varnish remover/paint remover to remove the varnish? Maybe I could save the guide wraps if done carefully?

It's an old UK rod that needs to re-connect to a humid environment. Could a guy use wood oil as a replacement for moisture? If it's dry it should absorb oil as well or even better than humidity. Hoping for a little advice from those who have an understanding of these issues with old greenheart rods. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Looking forward to see where this goes.

I've got a couple of 'aged' and clueless as to up-care so I can fish them again. Three silk lines and they need a cane rod. One demands the other?

fae

·
Registered
625 Posts
Greenheart rods

Hi Klickrolf.
Just had a quick look at my Original Vibration made by Alexander to be fished by the man himself, and a Playfair Greenheart both are varnished but the faces of the splices are not, i think because the faces of the splices are so long, it is possible to get moisture into the rod without removing the varnish
I have over the years broken a few Playfair's because they have dried so much, but just leaving them outside in the lovely Highland weather :Eyecrazy: seems to give them a new lease of life pretty quick.
I have one outside i will be casting tomorrow, if I was going to remove the varnish and oil the rod it would be for me a winter project, that way I could oil the wood a few times while keeping the rod in a cool environment and re-varnish the rod in the spring, a nice wee winter project.
I just picked up a little 11ft double handed Greenheart that must be 80yrs old, that casts a light line beautifully.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

·
Heartlander
171 Posts
Hello,
I bought this nice 11ft Sharpes greenheart rod and want to fish it.

Is it okay to hang it in my cellar or do I have to put it outside in the rain?

Regards
Peter

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
I keep mine in my cellar, no heat or air conditioning.

Reactions: fredaevans

·
Heartlander
171 Posts
Thanks Middlecalf!
Anyone knows what line to cast with that rod? It is refurbished and no linesize on it. I will try a 400gr Wulff Ambush.
Tight lines
Peter

Here are some other pictures

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now we're talking a serious Boo here.

When you get a 'line number' I have a brand new SILK 7 and 8 weight lines here on my desk. Add a old Hardy reel/leader and step back 70 years. :smokin:

Let me know if of interest.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I would be testing out a #9 Double Taper (double hander or 'salmon') line on it....

These rods were made in an era where DT lines were the 'normal' or some would say now 'de rigeur' ;)

... with that line you have the versatility of extending the length of head you & the rod are 'comfortable' with....

By the way, I did look at this rod on the 'bay', but decided I have an excess of bamboo/greenheart rods in the collection to test out at the present time - good purchase price I'd say...

Mike

·
Heartlander
171 Posts
That is right!
I tried the Ambush in my garden but the belly is to thick and dont go through the small rings. I tried a nice 7/8# silk line and that looks promising. Have to try it on water.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greenheart rods

Hi Klickrolf.
Just had a quick look at my Original Vibration made by Alexander to be fished by the man himself, and a Playfair Greenheart both are varnished but the faces of the splices are not, i think because the faces of the splices are so long, it is possible to get moisture into the rod without removing the varnish
I have over the years broken a few Playfair's because they have dried so much, but just leaving them outside in the lovely Highland weather :Eyecrazy: seems to give them a new lease of life pretty quick.
I have one outside i will be casting tomorrow, if I was going to remove the varnish and oil the rod it would be for me a winter project, that way I could oil the wood a few times while keeping the rod in a cool environment and re-varnish the rod in the spring, a nice wee winter project.
I just picked up a little 11ft double handed Greenheart that must be 80yrs old, that casts a light line beautifully.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.
Hello Gordon,
I have bought a couple of greenheart rods that I would like to fish. The varnish is partly gon on both of them. Could you advise what oil and varnish should be applied on them?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hello Gordon,
I have bought a couple of greenheart rods that I would like to fish. The varnish is partly gon on both of them. Could you advise what oil and varnish should be applied on them?
Hello Gordon,
Hi AndreyR,
The trouble with most Greenheart rods is the wood dries out, many year ago they left them outside and in a hedge or Garden to keep the wood wet, modern heating is a killer for Greenheart, try stripping the varnish off, and let it get wet to bring some life back to the rod before applying a clear varnish, keep the rod flat as they can develope what is called a set, a slight bend in the wood, easily fixed with some steam to straighten.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! Does it make sense to keep the rod outside for few days before going fishing so that it takes some moisture?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I refinished my 15 foot J. Forrest greenheart some years ago. Its original finish was an unattractive liver brown. After removing the guides and wraps, I stripped it, then finished with Varathane dark walnut wood stain. The result is much better looking. I don't know from oil finishes, so it's oil-free. I keep it in a plastic tube, upright, in an unheated room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts