Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this old greenheart rod and intend to fish it. It has varnish on it and I don't think the varnish is a good idea on a greenheart rod. Can I use a varnish remover/paint remover to remove the varnish? Maybe I could save the guide wraps if done carefully?

It's an old UK rod that needs to re-connect to a humid environment. Could a guy use wood oil as a replacement for moisture? If it's dry it should absorb oil as well or even better than humidity. Hoping for a little advice from those who have an understanding of these issues with old greenheart rods. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Looking forward to see where this goes.

I've got a couple of 'aged' and clueless as to up-care so I can fish them again. Three silk lines and they need a cane rod. One demands the other?

fae

·
Registered
614 Posts
Greenheart rods

Hi Klickrolf.
Just had a quick look at my Original Vibration made by Alexander to be fished by the man himself, and a Playfair Greenheart both are varnished but the faces of the splices are not, i think because the faces of the splices are so long, it is possible to get moisture into the rod without removing the varnish
I have over the years broken a few Playfair's because they have dried so much, but just leaving them outside in the lovely Highland weather :Eyecrazy: seems to give them a new lease of life pretty quick.
I have one outside i will be casting tomorrow, if I was going to remove the varnish and oil the rod it would be for me a winter project, that way I could oil the wood a few times while keeping the rod in a cool environment and re-varnish the rod in the spring, a nice wee winter project.
I just picked up a little 11ft double handed Greenheart that must be 80yrs old, that casts a light line beautifully.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

·
Heartlander
170 Posts
Hello,
I bought this nice 11ft Sharpes greenheart rod and want to fish it.

Is it okay to hang it in my cellar or do I have to put it outside in the rain?

Regards
Peter

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
I keep mine in my cellar, no heat or air conditioning.

Reactions: fredaevans

·
Heartlander
170 Posts
Thanks Middlecalf!
Anyone knows what line to cast with that rod? It is refurbished and no linesize on it. I will try a 400gr Wulff Ambush.
Tight lines
Peter

Here are some other pictures

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now we're talking a serious Boo here.

When you get a 'line number' I have a brand new SILK 7 and 8 weight lines here on my desk. Add a old Hardy reel/leader and step back 70 years. :smokin:

Let me know if of interest.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I would be testing out a #9 Double Taper (double hander or 'salmon') line on it....

These rods were made in an era where DT lines were the 'normal' or some would say now 'de rigeur' ;)

... with that line you have the versatility of extending the length of head you & the rod are 'comfortable' with....

By the way, I did look at this rod on the 'bay', but decided I have an excess of bamboo/greenheart rods in the collection to test out at the present time - good purchase price I'd say...

Mike

·
Heartlander
170 Posts
That is right!
I tried the Ambush in my garden but the belly is to thick and dont go through the small rings. I tried a nice 7/8# silk line and that looks promising. Have to try it on water.
Cheers
Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts