Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finished greenheart project at work

Wow, the first one worked so I'll try one more. Thanks to Steve Godshall and many others I have a custom line built for this 14 foot rod. Don't laugh at my dedication in the snow. I catch as many here as I usually do on the Clearwater:)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Greenhart

The rod looks superb. I have an old Hardy and I am trying to decide if I should rehab or sell. I wanted to try one of these because of my fondness for the big bamboo spey rods.

How would you compare the casting character to that of a similar bamboo rod?

Richard

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard,
Wish I had an answer for you but the truth is I've never cast a bamboo spey rod.
I will tell you this, casting the Greenhart is like nothing I've ever felt before. I've never used a bullwhip, but if I had, I would say it's a lot like casting this rod.
It weighs 26 1/2 ounces. The technique, I'm using to learn to cast, is the Grant switch cast. The maximum casting distance with this rod is approximately 110 feet. Currently I'm able to get a cast of about 75 feet but I'm hoping with practice I will reach 95. Distanceis not really a goal that I have. I'm just excited to use 100-year-old rod and be able to have some degree of success casting it
Thanks for your interest.
Tellumnothing

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks

Thanks for your response. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the rod.

One question: It looks like the rubber butt cap on your rod is in great shape. Is it the original or a replacement?

Richard

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your response. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the rod.

One question: It looks like the rubber butt cap on your rod is in great shape. Is it the original or a replacement?

Richard
It's not rubber. I believe it's solid hardwood. And I believe it's original. This is not a Grant vibration Rod. It was made by "Anderson and Sons" in Edinburgh,Scotland. It's called THE DUNKELD, And all of that is stamped on the brass portion of the handle.
Tellumnothing

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the custom line you have for this rod, what are the specifics? big double taper? silk or not? thats sweet!
This line was made for me by Steve Godshall. It is a single taper with the headlength the of 53 feet with an additional 65 feet of running line. It is not silk.
He calls it a "far and fine UK Spey". I'm guessing he is referring to the book," fine and far off", by Jock Scott. Which is the same darn book that got me interested in this greenheart stuff in the first place.
Tellumnothing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts