Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't help but pass this along -

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.

The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the “green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief(remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up oldnewspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart ass who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much.

No disrespect intended.
Best,
lsteinb

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
I was just thinking of you the other day Larry when I pulled on my cap :)

The post; I've read that before and that's how I grew up. Born in 1954 into a working class family without an automobile I was indeed. Everything stated was the way it was, we grew it and canned it in Mason Jars. I look at how I live today and wonder when the change really took place. I fought it to some extent, but my life is far more wasteful than that of my parents. I don't do green things, I try to do things that make sense and often they are one in the same. Anyway, it's a worth while read for anyone who isn't from the generation before everything changed.

Ard

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those were the day's!
I remember the ice man with his leather shoulder pad, milk man picking up empty bottles, my mom hanging clothes on the clothes line and pushing a lawn mower with all the strength I could muster.
My kids wore cotton diapers and they were the best dust rags and shop wipes after the kids were out of em. Wish I still had some.
One car, one phone and one TV if you were lucky.
Things seemed a lot simpler then and I didn't appreciate it until it was gone.
I don't think the new generation could cope with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Too bad not everyone was allowed to drink from that water fountain back in the day. Nostalgia tends to paper over a lot of unpleasantness. I suppose we should all focus on making the present and the future as just, green, pleasant, and civil as possible---with some time taken to "tend our gardens," or mend our lines. :)

I should add, and did, that the people who inaugurated and presided over the changes that are now lamented---leading us towards waste, plastic, consumerism---were not the young people of today, but the now old.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
I suppose we should all focus on making the present and the future as just, green, pleasant, and civil as possible---with some time taken to "tend our gardens," or mend our lines. :)
Agreed. Somewhere in the middle might work. I was in the Mattole River Valley a couple of years ago and I saw a young family building their home and tending their gardens. I was envious to say the least. I wish we could (and we all wanted to) take a step back.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I'm of that vintage. Or nearly so. But there were considerably fewer of us, less pressure on the whole. I understand the fatigue with feeling like the past generations are blamed for or don't measure up, but we're here now.

All in the same boat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only 160M people in the country then, fishing was great. I would fish all summer in MT never see another person,,,king runs in AK had 20X the fish now....btw, anyone remember when the plastic bags came out,,,,was supposed to save the trees....you are correct, we are here now...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I remenber the only reason we wore rubbers was to keep out feet dry. Nowadays if you dont wear them, you will " go green"

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
green

Ard;
A big Hello to you and Nancy. Sending you something as soon as I
get off my duff. You can use it while in the lower 48.

Rustybee,
We don't think of ourselves as "old." We prefer the athletic term
"seasoned veterans."

Best to all,
lsteinb

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Panama Red and aculpolco gold have been replaced by OG Kush and Pineapple Express. The new green is the good green.......on a serious note, that was a great read, but I'm just a young smart ass who was born in 74.
The Dead still is and always has been my favorite band though, do I get a pass ??

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This is a great read. I just turned 30 two days ago so I UNFORTUNATELY don't know the lifestyle described above, I sure do envy those of you that got to live in a more simple time. My ultimate goal in life is to get a place way out in the woods and live the way I believe man was intended too... Once the kids are grown and gone is the one stipulation from the Mrs... I sure wish my generation was a bit more respectful to those that came before us.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Back when the milk man was delivering daily and there was only one TV in the house, 4 paper mills, a chicken processing plant, a tannery, and several municipal sewer systems were busy pouring all manner of filth into my home river. When I was a kid, you wouldn't think of fishing it (it was essentially devoid of life, anyway), let alone wading or swimming it. If you wanted to drive along it, you filled your 25 miles to the gallon car with leaded gas. Remember leaded gas? And the way it caused all kinds of permanent health problems? You hoped to get 70,000 miles out of that car before it died, and you had about 4 AM radio stations to choose from while you drove. Worst of all, nobody knew what a two handed rod was (eegads!).

Today, that river is a fine striper, smallouth, and trout fishery. Its upper stretches even sport some landlocked Atlantic salmon. It's full of crayfish, caddis, and stoneflies, and countless shad and alewives ascend it every spring. Bald eagles - a very, very rare sight back in the day, thanks to environmental pollutants - nest along nearly the entire length. I can check the water flows on a webs site before I drive my 50 mpg hybrid (115K miles and still goin' stong!) and listen to my favorite CDs in stereo on the way to spending the day casting a lovely graphite two hander. Gore Tex waders and outerwear keep me really comfortable while I'm in the water, too.

Nostalgia has a way of making the past sometimes look a whole lot better than it really was and the present much worse than it really is.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ard;
A big Hello to you and Nancy. Sending you something as soon as I
get off my duff. You can use it while in the lower 48.

Rustybee,
We don't think of ourselves as "old." We prefer the athletic term
"seasoned veterans."

Best to all,
lsteinb
Yeah, I'm with lsteinb- old is when I can't fish/paddle/row/hike/snowshoe anymore. I'm decades away form old.
Haha. All said with tongue in cheek fellas. :)
Agree with the last poster that not everything peaches back in the good old days (racial segregation and the Cold War to name but two). I do think that its important to realize where we come from to better appreciate how much we take things for granted).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts