Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had to tie some Green Highlander hair wings lately, I thought I'd post a scan of one. I tie them with the classic fly's body and underwing along with a 4-part bucktail wing. This one was tied on a #8 hook.

The pattern (in the order of tying in the materials)

tip: oval silver (I use silver wire on #8 and smaller)
tag: yellow floss (I use silk and split it into a smaller piece)
tail: G.P. crest (also known as a topping)
butt: black ostrich herl (I use Gobin's method of tying in several
fibers of black goose shoulder and wrapping them around
back thread to form a herl for flies smaller than #4)
rib: oval silver
rear 1/4 body: yellow silk
hackle: Highlander Green rooster neck (Chinese or Whiting American)
front 3/4 body: Highlander Green (or grass green) dubbing
underwing: G.P. tippet fibers
mid-wing: yellow, orange, Highlander Green bucktail (tied one color on
top of the other)
throat: yellow rooster hackle (Chinese or Whiting American)
top wing: light brown bucktail
cheek: jungle cock
head: black thread

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love that pattern. Have you had success with this pattern on summer steelhead? I have caught two fish on a spey with those same colours, but not the exact tie. One was a late winter fish on the Skagit, and one a early summer fish on a SW Washington stream. Just curious of your succsess on green,and Yellow flies? Oh yah, I have caught a few fish on Bill McMillans washougal olive.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not fished it for steelhead and I don't fish with predominately yellow or green flies for steelhead either. Although I use a lot of flies that have some green (actually chartreuse) in part of them and flies that incorporate yellow into them, the green or yellow is really an accent color and not the predominate color of the fly. But then again, I don't fish the SW Washington rivers like the Washougal, Lewis, Wind, and Kalama with its "springer steelhead", which are the rivers for which McMillan developed his Washougal Olive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like big salmon tube flys.. This one dont have any name right now, but it will be named af our trip to Stjørdal in Norway this year!! :devil:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts