Spey Pages banner

Green Doctor

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  fshnazn 
#1 ·
No much more to say other than this pattern was recently discovered in a collection of Flies owned by the Irish Government.

Pattern is listed in the new Barry Grewcock fly tying book...

Thought i'd tie it as a mixed wing.

Eunan

See less See more
#6 ·
Well, there is another Doctor I have not heard of! I guess I shouldn't be surprised cause that's how I felt when I saw the Red Doctor for the first time.

Beauty man, I agree with the guys above who stated how fishy that style looks. My kind of fly bro, not exclusively a wall hanger but nice enough for that also.

Did you tie this from sight, or was the dressing listed in that book?

CJ

edit...I just checked that book title...I missed the ship for one of those :) .

#7 ·
I really like this Eunan !!
Like John , I never heard of a Green Doctor , but now I know one exists .
I agree with Matt , it's very fishy and I may have to pinch the pattern and swing one on my local river :)
Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas !!

Mike

#8 ·
Thanks again guys. I'm already tying this one again on a slightly smaller hook, this time with a married wing.
Tied it just from the recipe with no visual reference. There was a typo in the pattern listing too, so I went with the logical choices.

Re the Books....there are two versions. One deluxe with color photos of flies, one working copy with only the patterns no pictures, though both are great in their own right.

#11 ·
Dressing for Green Dr

Green Doctor

TAG: Fine oval tinsel and yellow floss
TAIL: Topping and indian crow
BUTT: Red wool
BODY: Yellow floss
HACKLE: grass green from second rib
RIB: Oval silver
THROAT: Gallina
WINGS: tippet in strands. Bustard,golden pheasant tail, yellow,red,green,light blue swan (turkey), Bronze mallard, GP Topping
SIDES: Jungle cock
HORNS: Blue and yellow macaw
HEAD: Red wool

I found this online...for anyone who may want to try it, as I do! CJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.