Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is my first finished full dress. Thanks for the inspiration Eunan! No recipe, just copying Eunan's photo. Tied for fishing.

Thanks for the hook Josh (what is it?) I burned it, straightened it, and trimmed to size. It was an old down eye. Thanks for the mallard too.

I liked it better without the topping, just the mallard, but wanted to finish it all the way. Lots of subs, seal instead of wool, no green hackles so choose a red one and added green in the throat. Wing is all goose and turkey secondaries. crow sub over tail is golden pheasant.

Fun Christmas colored fly

Happy Holidays

·
Administrator
18,171 Posts
I really like this knock-off , I think you hit it out of the park :smokin:
Proportions are most excellent and the fly exudes a beautiful contrast ...

This one begs to be fished , but can easily sit on the wall too ... great work !!

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
Doc

for the fish? big buck would Bogart that Doctor variation
you have a way of tying

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Swift and sweet, Matt! For me, I like what you did with the topping. I think you would do very well following the old recipes.

Adrian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A yes, "Old recipies."

Swift and sweet, Matt! For me, I like what you did with the topping. I think you would do very well following the old recipes.

Adrian
That too is where I started Adrian some 60 years ago. You tied with what you could find, frequently laying on the ground, or what you could 'snitch' out of your Mothers sewing basket.

Mom needed to 'darn a sock' and needed grey wool yarn. First glance was her sewing basket, the second was the small table in my room. Still have her sewing basket with its spools of thread, darning needles and what ever else.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! That's a really nice rendition, I may try this one myself this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration man. CJ
Thanks for posting the recipe, I actually nailed it except for the lack of blue in the wing. Oh well, the horns have blue.

Its a fun tie, i love the colors

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Absolutely nailed it Matt! I love the fast look yet full wing you have created here, seriously awesome work.

The hook is an old Mustad limerick 2/0 that I have never been able to build quite right on, you made it look amazing and I have many more coming your way. The mallard was a gift from Wayne (back eddy) and I'm sure he will be as happy to see what you've done with it as I am!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts