Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to tie some green butt silver hilton for some fall and winter steelhead fishing in california and wanted to know what material some of you use for the green butt. I have found some wool and yarn in different shades of green, yellow, and charteuse but not quite the right color. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Jason

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
The sky is the limit on materials. Joe Howell of Umpqua fame sells them with standard chartreuse chenille out of his shop. Really depends on how fat a fly you want. I like fluorescent chartreuse floss over silver tinsel for low water flies or spey style, and I'll even dub a butt out of Salmo Web or some other bright seal substitute behind a black ostrich herl "rope" for an Alec Jackson style spade body.

Use what you like. It'll work fine. While you're at it, make sure to bring some black bear green butts too. They can really light up the Trinity and Klamath when you want a darker fly, and only the black hair wing and the golden pheasant crest tail is different from the hilton. Gives you nice light fly/dark fly change up without filling your boxes with lots of different patterns.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Jason,

It is usually tied with a lime green dubbing butt; but a green chartreuse (this means it is more green than yellow) works very well too. It can also be tied with a lime green or chartreuse Cactus Chenile, Estaz, or one of the other florescent plastic cheniles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts