Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be fishing stillwaters, casting and stripping streamers and teams of wet flies back to me. Mending the line isn't an issue, but getting the line way out there is important. The rub is that I'll only be able to wade a couple of yards into the lake/reservoir and trees grow right up to the shore line.

To make a long cast with minimal back cast room, should I use a long belly traditional taper or should I use a short, heavy weight forward taper like a scandanavian shooting head or a skagit? Is it possible to "shoot" line with a weight forward configuration without an aerialized back cast?

For what it's worth, I'll be using a St. Croix IF1308.

Thanks for offering your opinion.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
In my opinion you should use something short. If your fishing streamers you most likely will want to get down. Scandi sinking lines or something like the Rio Outbound or the Airflo Forty Plus integrated shooting heads (425-450grns)in a sinking configuration should do the job.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lake line

Sounds like you should definitely consider shooting heads in the 35-45' lengths for a number of reasons:

With limited backcast room, shooting heads will allow long casts with the least amount of space behind you.

Since you're retrieving the flies, you will be stripping the line in, which is suited to shooting heads. With a longer line, you would have to shake out some line from the guides prior to each cast just to have enough belly weight to load your rod.

With shooting heads that are not integrated with running line, you can change heads quickly as conditions dictate without need to change spools or reels. You might need different sink rates, or floating vs. sinking, or even shorter vs. longer heads (based on available backcast room) and could change easily with loop-to-loop connections.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree, go with a short belly or shooting head. I would also suggest using the Perry Poke Cast as IMO it best minimizes the back cast room needed - yet still bombs the cast out there.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
anchor point

kush said:
I agree, go with a short belly or shooting head. I would also suggest using the Perry Poke Cast as IMO it best minimizes the back cast room needed - yet still bombs the cast out there.
Go with the short head shooting type lines. Perry Poke. Play with the anchor point, setting it out in front a bit more than normal so thet your D-loop clears the trees behind you. Not quite optimum effeciency but it works. That, and nice V shape loop, short as it is, will get you decent results.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rio Outbound Floater is easy to roll cast, skagit cast or spey cast

DaveC said:
I am going to be fishing stillwaters, casting and stripping streamers and teams of wet flies back to me. Mending the line isn't an issue, but getting the line way out there is important. The rub is that I'll only be able to wade a couple of yards into the lake/reservoir and trees grow right up to the shore line.

To make a long cast with minimal back cast room, should I use a long belly traditional taper or should I use a short, heavy weight forward taper like a scandanavian shooting head or a skagit? Is it possible to "shoot" line with a weight forward configuration without an aerialized back cast?

For what it's worth, I'll be using a St. Croix IF1308.

Thanks for offering your opinion.
I know nothing about your rod, but the Rio Outboung Floating 11F or maybe the 12F might be the answer.

The OB's can easily roll cast their 37.5' head, a long leader and shoot at least 1 rod length of the green running line past your rod tip. That would enable you to roll cast a fly 50 to 60' with no back cast room from your rod tip.

Buy Rio's new DVD and watch the 3 Skagit casts. You can use Ed's or Mike's style of Skagit casting with zero or minimal back casting room. Both styles will get the line and fly out there for you with minimal if any room behind you. You will need to learn how to Snake roll your casts left or right to set up your casts at first and after stripping in your line.

G

·
You could try a Belgian cast it seems to work very nicely when there is restricted back room. Using a long rod, regardless of the "short head" it will normally be between 32 feet and 50 feet, plus a leader, about 8/10 feet so the backroom to use such things is going to be a fair distance, like 80 plus feet at the least, considering the rod length off which that head etc is hanging.
You can, if you use a 14/15ft rod, roll cast about 70 feet with a long head and leader, like a 55' Loop intermediate and a 10 foot leader and using a few feet of running line out of the tip. You can even shoot a few feet of line to get about 80 feet all up. You can do that with no feet behind you.
Using a Belgian cast you probably need about 30 feet behind you, at the most, and you can cast around 100 feet.
There are a lot of Spey options, you can do those casts with overhead rods, you do not have to stick to the hard and fast overhead styles, and that goes for the 9 foot bregade as well.
Maxg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts