Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elie , who's showcased in this video is an excellent fisherman and great person to fish with !
It's in French but you'll get the idea

BTW,Troy, ye can see the L Rock !!!! Thank God it wasn't divulged for all to notice :wink2:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
On my bucket list, some time in my life I'd love to spend a whole season on the peninsula!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed it. The auto-translate subtitles throw up some interesting expressions too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have been lucky enough to have fished it once. A rugged river, for sure. And extraordinarily beautiful. Those ledge formed pools can be tough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't listen to a translation but it appeared to me that they spent a few days floating the river.
I'm wondering how one would plan a trip like that?
I'll be spending the next couple years in atlantic Canada and I'm just starting to look at fishing options. To be totally honest the management system in Quebec baffles me. Is it as complicated as it seems?
It's obviously expensive with the rod days etc. but with a lottery system how would you get consecutive days?
Cheers,
Lief

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't listen to a translation but it appeared to me that they spent a few days floating the river.
I'll be spending the next couple years in atlantic Canada and I'm just starting to look at fishing options. To be totally honest the management system in Quebec baffles me. Is it as complicated as it seems?
It's obviously expensive with the rod days etc. but with a lottery system how would you get consecutive days?
Cheers,
Lief
There's 10 sectors on the York and only sector 4 would require a canoe or raft to fish part of it .All the rest of the river is VERY doable by wading
Think of Quebec salmon fishing as 2 parts .Drawn water ( on November 01 ) and public. Some rivers are drawn waters only However Public fishing can be excellent best is to keep your ear to the ground and be prepared to leave at a moments notice . I've had superb public water fishing on the York ,Matapedia and the Bonaventure rivers.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Loved this film when it hit PALM. Have fished a little bit with Elie, and I concur he's a stand-up guy.

If anyone is interested in planning trips to the York, Dartmouth or St-Jean rivers (they are all in close proximity to each other and managed together), I happily offer my assistance in unraveling everything you need to know before coming.
Done this for more that a few folks, and you'll discover its actually alot easier than initially perceived. If your trip happens to coincide with my own time in the Gaspe, I'll also happily unofficially guide you through the logistics, tactics and gear and of course to the better pools.

Even if you miss or loose in the November pre-season draws (as Quebecers with English names tend to do with a few exceptions), it's still easy to plan a week or two with consecutive fishing days. The ZEC (governing body) that administers access to these three rivers, as well as most other ZECs for other rivers in Quebec, also run 48-hour draws, where for a nominal fee you stand the chance of grabbing reserved beats to sort of upgrade from the public/unlimited beats. Either way, the public beats have tons of great spots and lots of hidden holes to explore, so you're not at any loss to fish new water all throughout a week. Actually, the cheapest access is the public sectors, and with that you get far more fish-able water than in the reserved sectors.

Concerning floating the York: I'm on the York every year in June for going on ten years now, and I've NEVER actually seen anyone float through for fishing purposes. Not to say that it's not done, because a couple years back a buddy and I floated all of sector 1 public water, which was awesome, but ultimately didn't reveal anything we couldn't have just walked/waded to, yet it was a great experience.
There is a whitewater rafting outfit that runs through some of the mid-river canyon sectors, yet don't tend to bother the fishermen very much, and it is routine for guys doing sector 4 to bring canoes or inflatables to cross the river and access the lower pools in that beat.

Planning a float trip should be done carefully to do the length of the river, as you will invariably run through multiple reserved sectors and a few birdies flipped your way. I would expect the best way is to run a shuttle truck to make multiple "portages" to go around the reserved beats as you descend.
Additionally upon arriving at the bottom of sector 1 you'd want to pull out there as there is private water from there out to the estuary.
Then there is time of year to consider as well; in June, most of the action will be from sectors 1-6,7 and not too much above that, later in the season from sector 11 down throughout the whole river.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,546 Posts
If anyone is interested in planning trips to the York, Dartmouth or St-Jean rivers (they are all in close proximity to each other and managed together), I happily offer my assistance in unraveling everything you need to know before coming.
I might just take you up on that offer in the future.

Dan

·
Banned
201 Posts
Cheers,
Lief
Its really not that complicated, just requires a bit of time to figure out. i planned a DIY trip a couple years ago and was able to combine november draw days with open water to get 5 or 6 days in a row in. if you get picked in a november draw you can usually get 3 days in a row and then look to add to those with open water on either end. I don't know about the York or those rivers, but you could walk up and get passes for the petite cascapedia and the bonventure without much trouble. it cost a few bucks but wasn't that bad. Plus the fee probably keeps the crowds down to a large extent. There was tons of open water in mid july when i was there.

·
Registered
917 Posts
He mentions the open water, he doesn't say reserved water. You can walk up and get passes to the open water on both the Petite and Bonnie.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just a quick clarification for newbies who have never fished Quebec Salmon rivers. When we are talking about ''Public'' or 'open' water, it is not FREE (as in other places of the world where you just find an unfished part of river and go at it) There are still fees for a daily pass. They are rather 'unlimited rod' sectors (no limit to how many people walk up and buy a pass) and limited rod sectors (limited to a small number of people who won either the November 1st draws or the 48h in advance draws). Most rivers have sectors of both types, so you usually can always fish if you show up.

Sorry, not trying to be picky; its just I find those terms explain better to people who have never fished or even read up on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good points one and all!
I have spent several hours poring through the ZEC webpages for some of the rivers and reading the translations which can contain a few headscratchers. Literally lost in translation!

There's some regulations for salmon angling though that I'm uncertain of from the translations and they're pretty important ones.

I was trying to figure out if sink tips, poly leaders, intermediate lines etc. are allowed and it seems they are provided the line doesn't kink when bent?
Is this correct?
Is the regulation just against wire or something of that nature???

And as far as flies go my understanding is that they must be unweighted. No coneheads, no dumbbells, no wraps of lead wire.
What about metal tubes, are they legal?

Cheers,
Lief

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow you have been busy! :0) So here is my crack at it for you...

So tubes… Some type of tubes are permitted. Plastic, Aluminum, Copper and I believe Brass. Tungsten and others are not….

Lines and tips… So the regulation is weighted lines are forbidden. And the definition of a weighted line is a line that kinks when bendt… Poly's and sink tips are density compensated. Not weighted…. At least that is my take on it. Now some rivers are Floating line only (Matane I believe??? Others?). In that case even the tips and density compensated lines are forbidden…

Flies… No cones, beads, wire or lead for weight.

Once again, my take on it.

Good points one and all!
I have spent several hours poring through the ZEC webpages for some of the rivers and reading the translations which can contain a few headscratchers. Literally lost in translation!

There's some regulations for salmon angling though that I'm uncertain of from the translations and they're pretty important ones.

I was trying to figure out if sink tips, poly leaders, intermediate lines etc. are allowed and it seems they are provided the line doesn't kink when bent?
Is this correct?
Is the regulation just against wire or something of that nature???

And as far as flies go my understanding is that they must be unweighted. No coneheads, no dumbbells, no wraps of lead wire.
What about metal tubes, are they legal?

Cheers,
Lief

1 - 16 of 16 Posts