Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the video produced at spey-o-rama last year is called The Art of Speycasting and is a must have addition to anyone's library. Featuring the casting and presentations of folks like Goran Andersson, Al Buhr, Ian Gordon & Bill Drury, Way Yin and Steve Choate and many, many more, this is the first video to really cover so many different approaches to spey. Want to see how they cast in the classic traditional Scots Spey style? It's here. How about a comprehensive look at single hand spey casting? Yup. Want to see how Goran Andersson's and Knut Syrstad's Scandinavian Underhand styles are similar and yet also different? You'll find it on this DVD.

This is a professional production that features a ton of good stuff. I bought mine at this year's Spey-O-Rama but you can order yours from Miracle Productions (800) 874-4171.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would heartily second Dana's review - that is, if you put your mute button on when I'm talking and just watch Steve cast. The DVD provides a wonderful snapshot into little segments of the myriad styles that are available for all of us to use casting a single or two hander. Styles reflecting fishing in Scotland, Scandinavia, and here in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Japan are represented in digestible segments. Great footage of Steve Rajeff showing how to cast 250 feet with a 17 footer, Andy Murray casting the cleanest tightest and smoothest loops possible, Simon putting things into a distilled perspective that only one as knowledgeable as he could, and countless little casting and fishing tips and nuggets from all the presenters - pearls of wisdom that any caster or instructor, at any level, can benefit from. Plus, it's a DVD - so if there are segments that don't do anything for you, you can skip 'em!

What I really like about this DVD, and what I think sets it apart from all other "Spey" videos or DVD's, is the truly professional composition, editing, and camerawork - and the fact that it was basically done out of a love for the sport, with several of the demonstrators donating their time to additional footage that really contributes to final package. (Frankly, Jeff Pill and all the folks that produced it or donated their time in post-production will never even come close to breaking even.) For around $35, you get 3 and 1/2 hours of full-on professional quality stuff, painstakingly edited from four or more camera angles, color corrected perfectly with great sound, and distilled from over 1.2 terabytes of raw digital video footage.

Lani is the perfect commentator and narrator, Simon's "bookends" are fantastic, and the montages and bonus features are among the best parts of the production. The generosity of the GGACC in hosting the event is also well represented.

If you liked the easy-going but thoroughly professional style of "Successful Fly Fishing Strategies", you will love this DVD.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I attended the Speyorama this past weekend and when I asked about the DVD (had been hearing about it's production from last years show) I was told that it would not be available for a couple of weeks yet, and that the clubs event organizers were disappointed that the DVD was not ready to distribute at the show. I did not see any kind of sales activity for the DVD going on either. Maybe you got an advanced copy. I would hope the club would post a link to direct sales here. Maybe Bob Pauli could chime in here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Art of Spey Casting DVD order info

Hi everybody! There is some confusion about the new Art of Spey Casting DVD. This is just in production and it will be avaiable for purchase by the 9th of May. This fantastic new DVD is produced by Jeffery Pill of Miracle Productions, but the Book Mailer is doing the order fulfillment. Miracle Productions and the Book Mailer have had a long association with each other. Miracle produced the Successful Stratagies DVD/Video years ago along with the great fly-casting DVD, The Dynamics of Fly Casting by Joan Wulff. Since Jeffery is a producer and we are a direct mail catalog, this just seemed like a good fit. So here is the order information for the Art of Spey Casting DVD:

the Book Mailer
PO Box 1273
Helena MT 59624
1-800-874-4171
email: [email protected]

Our web site has this DVD for online sales, http://www.thebookmailer.com

The DVD is $34.95 plus shipping. This is only available in DVD format. This is one disc, 3.5 hours long. It comes in two formats, NTSC for the U.S. and PAL format for some foreign countries. We can determine which format is needed by the mailing address, or customer request.
This is a great item for the spey caster. It has all our top professionals and you all know spey casting is gaining great popularity here in the states.
We've had calls this morning and we are trying to learn a new way to answer the phones, but sometimes we fall back on old habits. So, if you call and hear Book Mailer you got the right place. If you call and hear the Book Mailer, Miracle Productions, we got the right words. Either way, this is a great DVD- so get yours ASAP. Shipping cost within the U.S. is $4.50. If that doesn't come up in our web site, don't worry about it, we will make that correction when we process your order.
Hope you all have great fun planned for summer fishing and we wish you the tightest of lines- Cathy and Marcy, for the Book Mailer and, it is a Miracle!

·
Registered
599 Posts
got one at the event

Sunday morning of the SF event there were a couple of boxes of the DVD for sale and I got one. As Dana and Way said, it is very professionally done and is packed with a ton of info on various styles of two-handed casting.

Worth its weight in gold!!

RPhelps :)

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
got mine

I got my copy on sat and I would recomend it to any one who want to improve their skills. the segment of Steve and Way was incredible (with Sound). I have already watched there segment 5 times. Makes me want to run out and buy a bunch of long belly lines. you cant beat the price $35 for 3 and a half hours of spey.

rambo

·
Registered
344 Posts
video

I got mine from Whistler in the mail on Monday. I have not had the time to watch the whole thing, but is is well worth the $. It is a great video. Both as a learning to cast tool and to get to know some of the top casters, their styles, and philosophies about fishing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Art of Spey Casting update

Hello all you Spey Casters. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that the Art of Spey Casting DVD's are now in stock. Both North American and European formats are available for purchase. Our website has been updated with the correct title and information. Montana is experiencing rain and snow, for which we are very thankful, so my weekend agenda includes viewing this gem and seeing what all the fuss is about. If it's okay to post a direct link to the web page that displays The Art of Spey Casting, I will do so-

Cathy

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It's Underpriced.

The Art of Speycasting is underpriced. It is worth double the $40 price, three and a half hours of superbly produced spey casting and interviews. The "extra" section at the end, showing equipment used in production and setup locations is not to be missed.

With the low value of the US dollar, it is practically free to euro types.

Thanks to the GGACC directors and members for making this possible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
got my copy

have just finished watching the dvd what a great production.It was very interesting to see all the different styles of two handed casting and techniques used around the world.itwould be interesting to hear from everyone if they had a favourite style of casting shown on the dvd for me it had to be Bill Drury demonsrating his style of casting which to me gave me somthing to strive towards ,I purchased the dvd from bookmailer and it took around 4 days to arrive here in the uk -excellent srevice many thanks book mailer

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Great DVD, and a super fast delivery from the Bookmailer, thanks!. As a longline freak, it was really nice to see the Scots Ian and Bill, Steve and Way, Andy Murray and Tak and Nobuo to demonstrate their technique and style.

Btw, just to put the casts into perspective, does anyone know the length of the grid in the bottom of the casting pond? Is it 10x10 ft?

PS. And as Bob says, it is virtually free for us Europeans :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dittos on the DVD

I just watched the DVD and have to echo what everyone else has said. It is a great, must have, DVD of a variety of techniques. The differing explanations and views help me understand some of my many casting errors. My thanks to Bookmailer for the rapid response.
I hope one comes out on this year's event, since it had even more casters and more sponsors. I also wish we could get a similar event on the east coast. Maine is a long way from San Francisco.
Gunner/Joe

·
Registered
202 Posts
Me too!

I've been watching the video over the long weekend and doing a little single handed grass casting. (Too many family events to go fishing this weekend. :( )

I also think the video is excellent. I especially liked Way Yin and Steve Choate's detailed explaination of casting mechanics. I was able to get a really good handle on Single Spey mechanics from that demonstration. Excellent stuff.

But I do have a small criticism. :saeek:

All of the presenters seemed to focus on the Switch Cast/Single Spey. I would have loved to see Way Yin and Steve Choate continue their presentation of mechanics into the Snake Roll and Double Spey. (From what I can gather I think that if you have these three casts down you are in good shape to fish most waters.)

Although the middle section on making the video was interesting I would have prefered that this space be used to show more cast mechanics. Also as someone who is new Spey casting I wouldn't have minded if the sponsors were given more time to explain their offerings and how they relate to the material presented earlier. (I think they would sell more product by showing why they work well in relation to the material presented rather than a glossy marketing ad.)

Ummm, sorry. Yes, I'm a bit over crtical of almost everything. :lildevl:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Excellent DVD, and interesting to look at the different styles. Simon was well-suited to "book-ending." I particularly appreciated watching Ian's style. There were a couple of casts that I didn't recognize from the other segments: the Contrived Loop as demonstrated was a little different to the one I know (taught by Falkus) which needs even less space.

Regards
Steven

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.