Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I currently have a Redington Redfly 14' 9/10 with a Tioga 12 reel. As I have learned to speyfish over the last year, I am finding that this outfit is a bit too big for most of the waters I fish regularly. I am looking at a Redfly 12'6" 7/8 with a Tioga 10 or 12 on it. What size reel would you recommend to balance that rod out? Also, what line? Do I need tips or can I use a floater with sinking polyleaders? Do I need to cut back the line to use polyleaders? How much? I realize this is a lot of questions to ask, but I need some advice from experienced speyfishers. The rivers I fish mostly are 50'100' wide and don't get much deeper than about 6'-8'. In the past I have used sinking leaders, but am wondering if a line with tips would cast and fish better. Thank you for your time.

BK

·
Registered
12 Posts
rod suggestion

If you are interested, I have a 13' 7/8 St. Croix spey that I have found works great for swinging as well as indicator fishing. I will sell for $175 shipping included. It is only about 6 months old.

2tancaddis

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Peter-

The front taper of Windcutter Spey has been changed about last fall to accommodate heavier flies and Polyleaders.

Salmo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts