Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got the information and dates we are looking at for the clave and some details as well.

GL Spey Clave

Date: April 26 and 27(Saturday/Sunday)
River: Muskegon River

Possible Sponsers: Flymart Flyshop, Baldwin Bait and Tackle, Craig Harris and Gray Drake Lodge.

Friday evening: Meet and discuss what is going to go on for the next morning, conditions, weather, and get situated.

Saturday morning: Saturday morning we will have breakfast and have a short demonstration by Crag Harris on his reels at Henning Park?? After we will take to the river and get a demonstration by a few select spey casters on different casts and such. We will demo rods and reels that may be avalible and go over proper presentation style. Myself and some select other GL steelheaders may give a short demo/presentation on Great Lakes spey methods on the water(i.e. indicator nymphing, sink tip, etc). I am going to contact Matt about this and let him decide. We can break for lunch and then after go over what we didn't accomplish, put it all together and go into fundamentals on different lies and targets where fish might be holding. Afterwords we can break up and actually get the flies down to some steelhead. That evening there may be a campfire at the Park to discuss the day and just BS.

Sunday: Meet anyone who didn't make it Saturday. After breakfast we can head to the water and do some more casting or actually try to hook into some fish from what we have learned. I am going to leave around 4:00pm probably, maybe later.

Lodging Options: are the Riverside motel and a few campgrounds within the area. I will let you know more as time presumes.

Open to ideas, please email me or PM me!
:D :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah, indicator nymphing with the spey, well I just don't no what where this younger FF generation is heading to.

Must be because of the video games effect or something on them needing the extra visual aids.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL....

It is very productive, especially when targeting slots and seams where fish are staging in front or behind gravel. Also, productive in the larger runs and pools as well.

I am not as guilty as all the chuck and duckers out there!:D

Usually I do this with a a DT line spliced to a nymph taper that is zebra colored(black/white for contrast) and drop a leader of about 10' off the butt with a tandem setup of flies.

So how are the dates for everyone?

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the Notre Dame Blue and Gold spring game is that saturday I may not be able to be there until Saturday night. I promised my Freshman football star we would go this year. I could bring him and he can learn to spey.

I will check it out the ND date this weekend.

Yes I know what I am going to hear from the Wolverine and Spartan michigan fly fishers. Remember I lived in South Bend 6 years close to the hallowed grounds of Rockne, Leahy, Parsegihian, etc. Where I live now on the Chicago SE side is the chicago irish catholic ND football followers. More irish pubs around here than Ireland probably.

Maybe I could show up with an ND logo camoflauge thinsulate hat?

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep....

It is carved in stone. MYJP, try to work on that flyshop. If you want to talk let me know.

I am a big Michigan fan, but dislike State. I love Notre Dame, they are my second favorite college team...but my vows stay to my homeland state and their program.

One more year of football, that is it for me!:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great Lakes Clave

Sounds good to me man i should be able to get a good selection of Sage rods and some lines .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks good!

Looks like the event is looking better and better as time progresses. It should be a hit.

I am still looking for sponsers, so if anyone knows any flyshops or outfitters and wouldn't mind calling let me know. If they wish to sponser this event their name will be introuduced and also they will be able to partake if desired.

I am trying to get ahold of Dana to see if he could make this clave a sticky note on the site or even put it on the main website or lists of claves. If anyone talks to Dana, please ask him about this.

Heron...Drop me a PM if you would. If you have any sticks that would be great.

:D :D

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
michigan spey clave

Greetings fellow spey addicts!!!! I have been reading this forum for a long time--first time that I have posted though. I feel it would be outstanding to have a gathering on the MO! I planned to attend last years at Henning that Flyrdstlhd from BBT put on ---- I had to work that wkend , a real bummer. Anyway would love to attend--if time allows---hopefully we can get a few Pacific NW gurus' to show. That would be the frosting on the cake so to speak.:hehe: As far as indy fishing with a 2-hander goes---I'm guilty also,I have a bum shoulder---makes it much easier on the ol' worn out bones! I'm hoping we can have a good turnout,with many fellows willing to share their knowledge with us. Also in my opinon---it would be :cool: if we could get enough boats together to drift a section on sunday... I'll bring mine, and maybe I can russle up one or two more!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Welcom Danimal been reading your posts for a long time on TSS.

I am Supervisor over there and post occasionally in the Spey, Rigging, and Fishery section over there. Not to much in the reports section.

Do most of my cyber fishing right here. :chuckle:

Dan,

If Sage brings those new ultra light speys they just may sell a few of them right after the clave to us GL fly guys.

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok....

I am thinking about purchasing the 12' 5wt light spey from them, what one are you reffering to. I might be getting a demo from sage to cast, and once I find what you are hooking for I might be able to ask sage if we could get some.

If anyone knows of any flyshops that sell sage, please ask if they would sponser the event.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I know that it is a little pre-mature, but I ran a request for driving directions on MapQuest, but that site does not identify a "Henning Park". Does the park have another name?

CK

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm....

Well I am not sure. I was going to find out when I talked to a friend.

If I do, I will post directions for everyone on the site.

Hope you can make it smolt!:D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks...

So is Henning Park ok guys? I think we can just show up or do we actually have to reserve the park?

How many will be fishing??:rolleyes:

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
henning

I am not sure of the status of henning park at that time of yr. Let me make a phone call or two & I'll check it out. While I am thinking about it---what rod & line manufac. reps. are you planning to be there? P M me & let me know, dont want to upset the cart that the admini. was talking about. I have some friends that are local guides----they might be able to have some reps. show up. Depends on who else is lined up of course. Seldom will competitor manufactures of equip. --show at the same gathering ( so I am told) ! Also nothing against Matt, but the local spey guru on the MO is" Feenstra "! Sure would be nice to have him & Herb join in on group. Their wealth of knowledge would be greatly appreiciated I am sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes but....

I am trying to get sage and loomis out there, but would settle for anything. If you can help please do.

Matt is a good buddy if mine and I talked to him about it. I wouldn't mind Feenstra either, but I know Matt does alot with European spey fishing techniques popular in Iceland and Russia and has brought presentation styles to the Great Lakes.

I know Dana the owner of this site might attend and help. I sent him and PM about it and I am waiting to see.

Any flyshops you can contact and talk to about would be appreciated!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL...

Hey, don't worry about it, I got it covered. I just want to make this somewhat impressive event that is fun and a learning expirence. Matt is a good buddy, and if he can come than that would be fine. I never talked to Feensta, and didn't know who he was until last year, I don't plan on him attending. Anyways, I just want to get everything finalized so therfore nobody has to worry.

The reason I wish to have sponsers is so that demo rods/reels and tackle can be availible for use. It allows us to maxamize the event. Several flyshops said that this would be a good way to promote their businesses, and even sell some demo equipment. Craig Harris does not mind at all, he sayed he loved to support events, especially if they are featured in our state.

I talked to Dana, and he told me to give him the dates and he would see. I have never met him and would like to.

I wish to have some good casters at the clave to teach what they know, and so alot of people can benifit. It may seem like I am getting in over my head, but this event is going to be a hit hopefully.

Now, I just want the fish to cooperate as well:D :D , but we will have to wait to see about that!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well....

They are welcome to come and welcome to give a presentation if they would like.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks MJYP for the kind words the beer town gang will be there with bells on and willing to help and learn as much as possible.
As for Kevin Feenstra there could not be a better guide to have at the clave he is the reel deal no bs

1 - 20 of 76 Posts