Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The admin wanted to start a new clave. Well, anything you guys want to post about can go here.

I will ask Dana to make this sticky if he can.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What going on ?

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm........

this one will be sticky. I didn't see the other one and am talking to Dana about it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also to add......

I will be staying at Riverside motel probably. Not the best, but can anone offer any suggestions. Hal, what do you think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dan, How much is it a night? I will be going for sure now, I dont think I will be in Islamorada anymore. What are we going to do on sunday? Drift? I will be bringing pop, and food, along with my portable grill!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh.....

Well is it every man for themselves, that might be easiest. How did you do it in the past?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks....

Hell, maybe I will just ask Matt if I can crash at the lodge....I bet it will be booked, but we will see.

I will check out the other one as well!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also.....

If anyone would like to help me set up early Saturday morning please let me know. I will be on the water by 5am probably chasing steelhead, and I'll fish until probably 8am.

I was thinking that the clave should start around 10:30, is that alright with everyone? I will set up the demos and other gear, get all the lines, rods and reels out. I might bring a tent just in case, unless they have a pavilion or something.

I will make sure we have the area pretty much to ourselves, although Henning Park is fairly large. We can start casting and presentations whenever, depending.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same here.

Dan, I to will be there early. We can maybe arrange some picknic tables to have the demos layed out on. We should have a few also for food. 1 question: what if it rains. I can probably get ahold of a mini tent or 2, one for the grills and food, and one for the rods, reels, lines, and speakers!!!

Dan we should have a good turnout.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes....

Ok here is an update:

I am working on trying to get Rick Kustich to attend, he is an avid spey angler. I will try to email John Valk as well, this would be a great event for both of them to attend. Not saying anything for sure yet, still awaiting a reply.

Also, please note that everyone should be bringing their own food/beverages. The way it sounds is that we can all bring something and share or it is all for ourselves. Please sign up or PM for something to bring. So far this is what we have:

Who's bringing what:

MJYP - Brauts and Sausages
Dan - Condiments/Cooler with pop ??
Drew - cookies and chips + tent possibly

Well, stay updated!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dan,

I will be there saturday or perhaps only sunday still depends on my youngest sons schedule and if we are going to the ND Blue Gold game on saturday. My assumption is yes at this time but things change as you know with 16 year olds.

How about one of those football heaters for us older guys it can still be 30 degrees at that time in Michigan. (Note if I was casting for steelhead it would not matter but standing around watching others cast may be cold. Otherwise I will bring some of my own spirits to warm the innards. :D )

PM Out

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that sounds good....

Hal, that is fine.

Are you bringing any food or anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
count me in. sounds like a spey-tacular weekend planned. i think i can make it on saturday. i'll be coming up from gr.

vodoofly

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hal....

At least we know you are a true great lakes steelheader, you know that it can be 45deg with a cold rain in the morning, then 70deg and warm and sunny in the afternoon on some days in spring. Ahhhh, you gotta live for it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
YUP

Thats what I will be doing this weekend. Crazyness. Fishing in 10deg. Jeeze spey is the way!!

We need a event layout!

Like times and events.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was up there at the same time last April, the mornings were high 20s and thirties and I don't think any day that whole week made it over the low forties. No one day was high forties, I remember ,I took a nap on my honey hole and watched some Pileated Wood Peckers while I rested the hole. Several deer came by also.

Of course several days had the good old lake michigan lake effect snow also, softly fluttering down.

Priceless

PM Out

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know!!

I love those kinds of days. Especially when take a nap and watch the fish do their thing!

espicially on a mild spring afternoon, with the sun peeking out and the clouds, filling the sky!! Ahhh I can picture it now!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep, my best day steelheading was in the low 30s wind chills into 20s on my favorite michigan river, heavy lake effect snow, had myself the honey run, filled with fresh steelies.

Jeff "Bear" Andrews was below me with a couple of his friends who I talked to on the way out. Had to leave for a few hours since I fell into the michigan muck face first after a steelie broke me off on the beaching, I was leaning back he did one last head shake, and pop, I went down into that black stuff.

Did not stop fishing though, shivered for another couple of hours started icing over my vest etc... Went to town changed clothes at motel, went to laundry, washed and dryed clothes, then back to the river within 2 hours.

Hardcore michigan winter steelheading I would say.

Hooked 13-15 that morning, landed three as I remember. There were some big fresh ones that morning that took me to school.

PM Out

·
Registered
28 Posts
LIST?

Now lets get back to the spey clave!! LOL jk!

We need a list dan!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts