Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many great lakes fisherman have voiced concern over a bad year.
this can be attributed to many things.
I am no biologist and dont buy into the factor of a bad year class.
on western lake Superior we have all wild fish and strong classes of different age groups.
if we say had a bad year 3 years ago, and lost a year class. Then I can understand the lack of 3 year old fish.
but where wre the 2,4,5,6,7,8,9 year old fish?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say the "drought" like fall this year would be the biggest factor in lack of fish this season, GL steelhead strains don't necessarily HAVE to run in the fall..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Almost everyone I talk to on the river this fall has made a comment about how slow it is, mostly pinners... Personally, I don't know what everyone is talking about. I guess people aren't catching their 30 fish a day like the "old days". I'm not sure if I'm just lucky enough to have been consistently getting grabs, or perhaps the fish in my area are sick of seeing roe bags and beads float by and more willing to take the swung fly over roe!:whoa:

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have a bunch of fish rapists we're dealing with in MI, trying to liven up their fish party with some chum roofies. They show up with Gatorade bottles full of it, shake a bunch down a run and then float their gut through it. I realize this is nothing new, but it seems to be a current trend. Obviously not the reason for a slow year, but another contributing factor to some slow swing bite days.

·
Mending Mending
93 Posts
I mainly fish the Credit River and Grand River here in Ontario and this year has been the worst yet for the fall run fish. To be honest its like theres a transition, I am seeing more spring run fish being caught then fall run fish so in my mind I think thats whats happening. And best yet I haven't seen any dead steel on the banks from gill ice. Fingers crossed. Heres to hoping the spring is way better.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
IDNR biologist informed me that qaggua mussels have destroyed the bottom of the foodchain. He said we dont have to worry bout bighead carp, that there is nothing for them to eat. If thats the case, the worst is yet to come

Reactions: srsteel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts