Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what your GL spey arsenal is. What rods do you have - length & line weight? What belly length you prefer - e.g., WC/Delta Short or Midspey/Delta Long or XLT/long belly.

David

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gl Arsenal

I have 3 main two handers for fishing in the GL area. I have an 11'3" 7wt for the smaller to medium size rivers where a full blown spey rod simply wont work. I have a 13' 6wt that I love and is my primary go to rod under most conditions. I also have a 13'6" Meiser MKS that I recently picked up to replace another rod. This is the rod I will use when fishing in the winter or on larger rivers, throwing monster flies or fishing in the wind. When you need that extra little umph! Most of my lines are skagit lines or WC's since my primary casting style is skagit casting. The only time I go to a non short belly line is in the winter when ice is an issue. Then I will go to a mid spey style line so that I dont have to shoot line and strip it back in as much. Keeps the fingers warm and allows me to fish longer!

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Quiver

Loomis 5/6 wt Trout spey
Harris solitude 4
- Orvis short head 6 wtf Spey
-Orvis short head 10 wt choped and looped at 26 ft for Skagit casting W t-14.

Loomis 7/8 wt GLX dredger
Orvis Mach V
- Rio 450 grain skagit head +t-14

Loomis 8/9 wt Kispiox dredger
Orvis Mach V
-Rio 550 Grain Skagit head + t-14

Loomis 9/10 wt Kispiox Dredger
Harris Solitude 6
-Rio 650 grain Skagit head +t14
-Orvis 9 wt Mid spey
-SA XLT 7/8 on order

I have a ton of Sink tips as well that I am using
Rio 24 ft big boy 150
Rio 24 ft big boy 200
Rio 24 ft big boy 400

Custom made t-14 heads all using level 12 wt floating and rio t-14

10 footers
3ft t-14 7 ft 12wt
5ft t-14 5 ft 12wt
7ft t-14 3 ft 12wt
10 ft t-14
15 footers
5ft t-14 10 ft 12wt
10ft t-14 5 ft 12wt
15 ft t14

20 ft t-14

Custom made Skagit cheaters from 12 wt floating stock

5 ft
10 ft

Hello
My name is erik
And I have a Problem

·
fly on little wing
1,118 Posts
DD, I'm assuming 2-handers,

I like 6/7-8/9 wts and mostly MS lines. My rods are 13' to 14'. My home water is pretty wide (+100yds). Not many long and light rods until recently.

Looking to try out the Meiser 15' 7/8 Highlander. (Hey Bob, I'll be calling soon.)

Gary

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rods

Gary,

Yes, two-handers. I am beginning not to like long single-handed rods much, and will stick with 9 to 9 1/2 footers.

Bob Meiser was kind enough to call me back recently. After our conversation, I don't want the rod I thought I did but two of his, neither are which he recommended or were my first choices. They are the Highland 13' 7/8 and MKS 13'6" 8/9. So much for easy decisions.

David

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Rambo said:
Loomis 5/6 wt Trout spey

Loomis 7/8 wt GLX dredger

Loomis 8/9 wt Kispiox dredger

Loomis 9/10 wt Kispiox Dredger
Hello
My name is erik
And I have a Problem